Cylinder to Sleeve height

littlebill31

Smells of Raw Fuel
Reaction score
I painted my cylinder and baked it in the oven. Of course the cylinder dropped a tad so the sleeve was higher than the cylinder/head sealing surface.
I put it back in the oven and then used weight to get the sleeve flush again. Tapped a little to get it flush.

But this got me thinking. How much is too much or too little?

Right now my sleeve is a tad higher than the surface. Just enough to catch a fingernail. Using a razor blade as a straightedge, I can barely see light.
Is this a concern? Should I have it milled down?

I don't know how it was before this happened so I have no base.
I have another cylinder and it too just catches a nail, but not as much as the painted one.

If the sleeve isn't fully seated, it'll seat after the engine has had a full temp run. Then you might have a headgasket fire ring problem.

If you deck/mill it like this (unseated), it'll fully seat later, below the deck. Again, fire ring problem. Plus, requiring redecking.

If it IS fully seated, but protrudes a couple thou, the fire ring should compress to handle it. Later, might find some warpage/unlevelness in the head and cylinders, but most of those things are probably warped by now anyway...

Last edited:
Thanks. Im going to bake it again and see if I can clamp it to insure I get a good read on if it is fully seated and is actually protruding or is inproperly seated and too high.

Back