Damn orings

CaseySmithersxs

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
I'm putting my needle jets back into my bs38s. I believe their the right oring. But the jet just wont stay in. The rings are 1mm thick and 4 mm ID, they were mailed to me by a member. Is there some kind of shade tree trick to get these things in without damage? Or are the orings supposed to be the flat style?

The o-ring groove on your Z-8 needle jets is very close to the collar that stops the jet when it's fully inserted. A fresh o-ring usually doesn't like to go into the mount hole. Lube it up as mentioned then install the bowl just a bit past snug (it doesn't need to be fully tightened down). Let the assembly sit for a couple hours or over night. Mounting the bowl will push the needle jet in fully and hold it there. The new o-ring will work its way in.

Another thread??????????? Why not continue in the thread where this problem started. Keeps all your information relevant so when people offer help they can see what has been discussed and solutions to any questions.

If you broke a needle jet getting it out, i would say you damaged the carb body.

Could be the reason for the loose needle jet.

Another thread??????????? Why not continue in the thread where this problem started. Keeps all your information relevant so when people offer help they can see what has been discussed and solutions to any questions.

If you broke a needle jet getting it out, i would say you damaged the carb body.

Could be the reason for the loose needle jet.

This thread is for a totally different problem. But anyway. They both wont stay in, only one of them were broken. So thats not that case.

I have a hard time believing they are loose. Are you saying that with the bowls on, you can put your finger on the little part that sticks up in the throat of the body and it wiggles?

This thread
this thread[/COLOR] and
this thread are all pre this thread, (o-rings on the needle jets is your hopefull fix to your carb overflow problem), and have relevance.

Originally when you left your petcock on. and the problem of flooding and not starting was on the 8th of last month. You cleaned your carbs and taped off openings and soda blasted, you have been having problems since. And remember you bike was running ok before you removed and cleaned you carbs

Those other threads are relevant and just maybe your soda blasting has been the cause all along............

If they seem to pop out when you take the bowl of, that doesn't mean anything. When you operate the bike, the bowls are on, right? The bowls keep them in place.

Well I assumed they were actually supposed to seat in there, that the oring was supposed to be INSIDE the bore that the jet goes into. And they easily pulled out.

And 650skull, yes I understand, but it seems that people dont reply until I create a new thread. And I cant see what else soda blasting would have done because Ive thoroughly cleaned the carbs multiple times.

Well I assumed ...that the oring was supposed to be INSIDE the bore that the jet goes into.

If you don't mind me saying so, you need to include pictures of your problems because your descriptions of them are next to impossible to follow for some reason. I don't think you're going to get much satisfaction till then.

Well I assumed they were actually supposed to seat in there, that the oring was supposed to be INSIDE the bore that the jet goes into. And they easily pulled out.
They will eventually seat with time and heat and vibration. Until then, the bowls keep the jets in place, and the o-rings will still make the necessary seal. Move on.

Back