Diaphragm Assembly movement

I'd check the one on the right to make sure you have the diaphragm lip seated in the carb body before you put the carb hat on. Looks like it may be leaking. Also check for holes in it.

It's hard to tell, especially since the carbs aren't vertical in the vid. They both fall faster than mine. The second one seems to fall like a rock. The first one seems closer to normal and makes the right sound. There are tales of guys sanding the pistons....

The long oblong hole at the top of the bell, blowing in that should raise the piston. It should stay up as long as you're blowing. That means you have a good diaphragm and a good seal.

See, there you go again, using those old timey words. In the new millenium, people use words like fun and enjoyable as a replacement for gay. I think other than right now, nobody has used gay to describe an enjoyable event since the Flintstones went off the air. However, I hardly see how this is helping T Bone with his carb trouble. BTW, I was thinking of the carb diaphrams. What did you think I meant?

some of these threads are getting as good as some of the stuff on the old 650 rider:laugh: I miss XSjohn he loved stuff like this :bike:

Last edited:
I have found that as long as she's willing I stay up as long as she blows.

To test the seal, you need to hold your finger over that oval slot on the top. Then the slides should fall slowly after you lift and release them if the diaphragms are good. Doing what you did in the vid doesn't show anything, in other words, it's normal.

T bone...that's a long way from a good way to check to see if the CV diaphragm is leaking badly whether from not being sealed properly or leaking from damage. In the picture below please note the position of the thumb which is going to be employed to seal off the wide air intake on the top of the carb throat.

With everything open and the carb vertical, slowly push the slide up and release, it should take a couple of seconds to extend to the bottom.

Now, slowly push it up again and before releasing put your thumb across the surface of the wide vent to seal it... then release the slide. It should take 5-10 seconds, if not too much more to slowly gently extend to the bottom.

Both slides appear to be opening and closing much too easily and quickly in the video. If it doesn't act as described above you've got at least one problem....holes or leaks from not seating or sealing somewhere or wheres.

(Sorry 5twins we were writing over each other....Blue)

Attachments

• 1aa11.jpg
    1aa11.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
The enrichener circuit draws air from under the diaphram. If your enrichener valve isn't seated it can effect how the slide moves.

I looked over the sealing of the diaphragms and fixed both of them so that they seem to be sealing correctly. I did what bluebikerblan told me to do as far as covering up the wide intake with my thumb. The assemblies behaved just like he described them which I am now assuming that I have a good seal both on the left and right side. Thanks for all of your help!

Back