Did you ever just have one of those days?

scott s

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
So yesterday, I'm down to the last few things on my punch list on the '71 CB500 I'm working on.

After the initial shake down run I realized the brakes were weak and the tank had a leak at the seam. The gas leak bubbled up my home made paint job, of which I was very proud.
Pulled the tank, got the bubbles to lay flat and RedKoted the tank. Let it sit for over two weeks. Hmmm, looks good. I think I can save the paint job and most people would never know the difference!

Tried to reinstall the tank and pulled the fuel line off the barbs at the carbs for the tenth or eleventh time. GRRR!!! Wait two days for the Honda dealer to open. Pay $33 for ten feet of the proper 5.5mm hose when all I need is two. Hafta order it and wait a few MORE days.

So I try to bleed the front brakes for the sixth or eighth time. Tried every trick in the book. (Yes, before you even suggest anything, I bet I've tried it.) This bike came with a m/c that was junk. Found one on Craigslist. "Ready to go!" It wouldn't move fluid. Took it apart and cleaned it thoroughly. Pumped fluid but leaked at the plunger. Order rebuild kit and wait. Install rebuild kit. Brakes work but are spongy. Someone suggests that the plunger is too short and to take it all apart and re-install the old one. Crap, crap, crap.

Well, since I'm at a stand still on the brakes and fuel lines, let's put the petcock back on the tank and put some gas in it. See if I did any good with the RedKote. Install petcock (the same one I was using before with no problems) and fuel starts pouring out of one of the barbs. Shit! Is petcock "OFF"? Yes, it's off. Gas is pouring all over me, the garage, the towel I had the tank on (to prevent scratches to my pride and joy paint job), etc.
Lean down and try to direct it into the gas can. This is not a one man job. I'm covered in gas and it's still coming out like the BP oil spill.
"Hey, let me get some fuel line off the work bench and set up a drain to the gas can", I think. Stand up and "DING!", nick the paint on the tank when I hit it on the front fender of the Yamaha XS650 that I'm also working on. Right on the decal. About a 2-3mm spot. "Mother $%#@*! !!!"
Scream at the top of my lungs for my girlfriend who is inside. She comes out to help me drain the rest of the gas. The dog is freaking out because she thinks something really bad just happened.

So, to sum it all up. The fuel lines are still off the barbs, the master cylinder still isn't bled, I have another new flaw in the paint job, I STILL don't know if the seam is sealed or not, the petcock...who knows WTF is up with the petcock...., I spilled about $2 worth of gas and covered myself with another dollars worth. I smell like shit and the bike is absolutely no closer to being finished than when I started.

Sounds rough man. What kind of paint did you use on the gas tank? I did mine last summer with some stuff mixed up by NAPA, has a clear coat built in and I have got gas on it numerous times and it just wipes right off with no effects. I think it was like $8 for a can which did my gas tank and my two side covers with 1/4 can to spare.

I have more of those days than good ones! Hey, at least it didn't catch on fire :thumbsup:

ARRRGH!! I had one of those days March 29, 2008. Working on my 79 XS1100 and it backfired and caught fire, but it wasn't where I could get to an extinguisher in time to stop the carbs leaking more fuel (the original problem, plus the vacuum petcocks wouldn't shut off) Burned tires and seats on my 56 Panhead, 72 XS650, 70 CB350, and melted the fairing on the 84 Venture Royale, and of course the 1100 was totally consumed, by the time the Fire Dept got to my location in the country. Still trying to deal with the mental pictures of my "girls" on fire.

Day you had a bad DAY.... Is that all? No that sucks Ida been howling too. Makes my current adventures on a KZ1300 following behind a PO with two left thumbs and way too many chisels, seem easy.

Back