Drum Brake please help

kuthe64

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
How do you change the rear drum brakes on an 81 xs650?

do you have to take the whole rear tire off?

Pictures would be great hoping to get it done tomorrow so i can ride back to school

I changed the disk brake, changed the hanldebars (daytonas), and cleaned the carbs with no problem but i didnt want to screw anything up with the rear tire.

yes, you have to take the rear wheel off to change the brakes. leave the tire on though.

Once you have the wheel off, remove the brake shoe plate from the hub. Roll it over. You will see the brake shoes with a spring between them at the top and bottom, holding the shoes tight against the pivot pin at the front edge, and the actuating cam at the rear. you can pry the shoes outward with your fingers (normally) to lift them off the pins. If your new brake shoes came with new springs, use them. Clean the hub, where the brakes run, very thoroughly. It is beneficial to abrade the surface of the brake drum liner inside the hub with some sandpaper, around 220 grit. This helps your new shoes bed in without glazing. Clean the brake shoe plate thoroughly as well. Re-lube any bearings that might need it, and thoroughly clean up from that prior to touching the new shoes. Connect your new shoes. They should have a half-moon edge to go on the pivot pin, and a flat face to work against the cam pin. Once they are connected, you can work them back over the keepers on the pivot pin and the cam. Once they are in place, your brake shoe plate can get stacked back into the hub, and your rear wheel reinstalled. Do NOT forget to set the adjuster per owner's manual, and spin the rear wheel and apply the rear brake abruptly against the brake stay to seat everything well before torqueing up the back wheel. Try your new brake out in the driveway, or a parking lot, to make sure you have it right before you venture out with it. At the last second is not the time to find a problem. Hope this helps.
This probably will too.
http://www.biker.net/650_service/650service main.html

The easiest way to remove and install shoes is to "fold" them off and on. No prying or stretching of springs is required using this method. To remove, hold one shoe down and simply "fold" the other up 90°. The shoe set will pop right off, no fuss no muss. Install is the reverse. With the shoes hooked together with the springs, set one down into place and hold it there with the other at 90° to it. Then just fold the other one down into place.

Since this is your first time, make sure you replace the cotter pin for the brake stay bolt. Also, your rear axle nut gets tightened to 108ft/lbs.

Well, 5twins, that's what I meant, but you said it so much nicer! Didn't know it had been designated a "fold"! Anyway, kinda figured that one out on my old KV-75 when I was like, 10 years old. Sorry if I don't describe it well. I are a mechanic, not a writer!

thanks guys, im assuming i need new brake pads because when i push the brake lever all the way down i have little if any stopping power and then it locks up

Maybe, maybe not. It could just need a good clean-up. Once the shoes are off, be sure to pull the pivot shaft out of the hub for cleaning and re-greasing. It could be binding and that could be the cause of the funky brake action. Grease should be used sparingly inside your brake hub and any excess that squeezes out after assembly should be wiped away. You should use the thickest, highest temp grease you can find. 3M from Vintage Brake recommends Sta-Lube Premium Red Grease .....

http://www.amazon.com/CRC-SL3190-Sta-Plex-Pressure-Cartridge/dp/B000KKJRMW

On this renovated assembly, you can see a hint of the red grease between the shoes and pivot shaft plate .....

DrumClean2.jpg

Back