Engine Rebuilt...Can't Get the @#$%er Started

bdholsin

XS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just venting...after rebuilding my engine I had it started about a month or so ago. We're looking at nearly 60 degrees tomorrow and I can't get the dirty slut started. I'm currently draining the gas as I'll concede...it's old. Maybe some fresh go juice will help her start. More to come after fresh fuel (high octane in case anyone was going to suggest it).

Thanks for "listening". :thumbsup:

Yeah, fresh plugs won't hurt. Current plugs don't have many miles but I can easily pick up some new ones to eliminate that possibility.

They come in a 4 pack at the auto parts store and I suggest you get that. Then you'll have spares on hand.

I'm not 100% certain it's a fuel delivery issue, scabber. I know I have spark as I've pulled the plug on each side and grounded it while cranking. I seem to be lacking crank speed when I kick it though. I did apply a coat of oil to the cylinder walls when I reassembled. It just feels like it is hard to kick. Most likely due to the higher compression with the new piston rings.

Going to try new gas and new plugs. We'll see from there.

Leo, the good news is that the carbs were not on the bike with the old gas. I drained it into a container (and should have just put it in my truck). The carbs were cleaned, thoroughly, over the winter when I was working on the rebuild. I was overly optimistic and put the gas back in the tank when I got it together. Thanks though.

Do you still have the electric starter. If so use your car and a set of jumper cables to jump just the starter. I have a spare I use for that. Hook the jumper cables to the battery, and bike frame. Now with a long bolt or screwdriver in the open red cable touch the bolt to the cable to the starter. This will spin the starter. With out drawing from the bike battery. Oh full charge on the bike battery? It needs it.
Do this with the key on and it should crank fast enough to start.
The fresh gas and plugs just might get it to run.
Leo

The starting fluid will fire better than gas once you get it to fire the carbs will pull enough vaccume to pull the gas if the plugs are not oil fowled.

blackbetty - Yep. All stock...no changes to the cam or anything.

scabber - I'll give it a try with the ether once I get good gas.

Leo - my electric leg is pretty much shot. On a full battery charge I get two or three revolutions before it just can't turn the engine over any more. I'm getting a replacement from another member here. However, until then I'm just kicking it. At least my right leg is about 4 inches bigger round than my left. :laugh:

It was the gas!!! I got 3 gallons of high octane go juice and she fired on the third kick (same plugs). Lesson learned, don't cheap out on gas.

I will be picking up some extra plugs to have on hand though. Tomorrow will be some minor adjustments to the pilot circuits and I'll be ready for riding this "dirty slut".

Back