Exhaust mounts

payaso13

1978xs650
Reaction score
Plan on going with the mikes commando system at some point...also if anyone running them how they sound? Got the taper mufflers now like the sound...I never heard commandos in person so hard to tell with YouTube videos....anyways to the main question are these mounts bent in a little or is that bend in stock...I can tell bikes been dropped with scrapes on front and back turn signals... just wondering???

Duh pics!!! Sorry left sides dark but same as right

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1384720032556.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1384720032556.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 121
  • uploadfromtaptalk1384720058963.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1384720058963.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 116
Yeah I dont know what they looked like stock and know these aren't stock pipes...have no issues with it. Just wondering...was gonna get mikes rubber stops for side stand cuz now its metal to muffler every time I use sidestand..also side stands easy to access no issues...probably cuz of bent mount..:thumbsup:

A piece of heater hose on the centerstand tang is a simple cure for the metal to metal contact .....

BracedStand.jpg

TangRubber.jpg

That's an early pic so no, those are Dunstall replica mufflers. P.O.S. mufflers it turned out. I do have the Commando mufflers now (on MAC headpipes). They sound, perform, and look great .....

Commando-MAC.jpg

Probably not much. The only reason I have the MAC headpipes is because that's what Mike's was selling like 8 years ago when I was fixing my bike up. Today, I would have his headpipes. They have the nicer finned collars like stock. My MACs just use a flat plate.

Ok...thank you....I haven't heard commandos in person but I'm looking for a louder one than the taper ones I have.

The Commandos aren't super loud, just a nice throaty sound. I think they make the bike sound like a real motorcycle. In my opinion, they're wonderful, one of the best mufflers available for this bike at the moment.

Your mounts look original and yes, they did bend in like that. Yours could be bent on top of that though. What you're going to find is that your muffler bracket isn't going to align with the sliding track on the Commando muffler very well. The forward muffler mount hole is too far forward. A better fit can be had by using the muffler bracket from an earlier 650 or the XS500. On these, the forward hole isn't as far forward .....

TX650A-XS650BPipeHanger.jpg

XS500PipeHanger.jpg

I use the XS500 hangers on mine. Still, the forward hole doesn't quite make the track. But it's close enough to clamp the bar mount I have slid in the track down tight .....

MuffMount.jpg

SlideTrack.jpg

I like the up-swept style. It allows axle removal without having to take a muffler off. As far as the sidestand goes, I re-worked my tang so it contacts the headpipe mount bracket on the frame when up .....

SidestandTang2.jpg

This keeps it well away from the pipe but more importantly, stops it from hitting the bottom of the engine.

SidestandTang3.jpg

Back