1980 XS650G Exhaust Replacement?

RustiePyles

"Pocket sand! Sh-sh-sha!'
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Ok I need to replace the exhaust on my 1980. My plan is to get from yamahaxs650.com
the 1.5" replacement head pipes
https://yamahaxs650.com/product/xs-performance-chrome-1-5-od-headpipes/#
And the 26" 1.5" Commando mufflers.
https://yamahaxs650.com/product/commando-style-megaphone-muffler/

Any reason this setup wont work on an 80? I know there is some differences in the rear mounting points throughout the years. Don't really want to pay Mikes the extra money and shipping for the "special" commando exhaust.
IMG_8997.jpg

Just bought the exact same setup for my 74. Looks pretty good upon initial inspection, but haven't attempted an install yet or done a deep dive on the mounting points on the bike yet.

Yes, it will fit just fine. We put the same "system" on my buddy's '80G. You will need to hang the muffler from the rear mount where the passenger peg mounts. Even then, the hanger was still too far forward. We used the included hanger strap to extend it back to the muffler's sliding track .....

BLoNpqo.jpg

1OPlWf8.jpg

OJqIb1u.jpg

We utilized his original Special exhaust hanger bracket but it appears you may not have that available. Hanging it off the rear mounting point also made re-mounting the passenger peg difficult so we just left it off. He never takes a passenger on his 650 so it wasn't an issue for him. But, if you do want to retain the passenger peg, and seeing that you may need to acquire some sort of stock hanger bracket, I recommend looking for one from the earlier Standard models or an XS500. These combine the passenger footpeg and the muffler hanger bracket in one .....

k1iBJWc.jpg

aNHPsn9.jpg

UXrBwK6.jpg

I would avoid the later Standard mount as it doesn't reach back as far .....

Jingw7R.jpg

On both of mine I used XS500 brackets because I had them.

Just bought the exact same setup for my 74. Looks pretty good upon initial inspection, but haven't attempted an install yet or done a deep dive on the mounting points on the bike yet.
Did it come with donuts and clamps? Or do I need to order those as well?

Yes, it will fit just fine. We put the same "system" on my buddy's '80G. You will need to hang the muffler from the rear mount where the passenger peg mounts. Even then, the hanger was still too far forward. We used the included hanger strap to extend it back to the muffler's sliding track .....

BLoNpqo.jpg

1OPlWf8.jpg

OJqIb1u.jpg

We utilized his original Special exhaust hanger bracket but it appears you may not have that available. Hanging it off the rear mounting point also made re-mounting the passenger peg difficult so we just left it off. He never takes a passenger on his 650 so it wasn't an issue for him. But, if you do want to retain the passenger peg, and seeing that you may need to acquire some sort of stock hanger bracket, I recommend looking for one from the earlier Standard models or an XS500. These combine the passenger footpeg and the muffler hanger bracket in one .....

k1iBJWc.jpg

aNHPsn9.jpg

UXrBwK6.jpg

I would avoid the later Standard mount as it doesn't reach back as far .....

Jingw7R.jpg

On both of mine I used XS500 brackets because I had them.
@5twins, Thank you. Thats what I needed to know. You are correct, I do not have any of the OEM brackets/hangers.

You won't get exhaust head gaskets with the headpipes but all the needed clamps, a hanger strap, and a threaded insert for the sliding track (be sure to use this) are included with the mufflers. I add P-clamps to the headpipes so they're not just hanging from the head .....

oUJrvG2.jpg

You won't get exhaust head gaskets with the headpipes but all the needed clamps, a hanger strap, and a threaded insert for the sliding track (be sure to use this) are included with the mufflers. I add P-clamps to the headpipes so they're not just hanging from the head .....

oUJrvG2.jpg
I can reuse the P-clamps that I have on my current 1.5" pipes. :thumbsup: Good info thank you!

Ok, I just snagged a decent set of the 1980 XS650G muffler hanger brackets on FleaBay for a song.

Take note of the spacer plate we placed between the hanger bracket and the muffler's sliding track. This was to insure the bolts going into the tapped bar didn't bottom out into the side of the muffler.

They sound great. My buddy heard them on my '78, that's why he bought them. Yes, you will need to re-jet slightly. If the mufflers are your only mod, you may get away with just bumping the mains a size or 2. If you're doing pods too, you would most likely need the mains up 2 to 3, pilots up one, and maybe the air jets reduced one.

But, if you do want to retain the passenger peg, and seeing that you may need to acquire some sort of stock hanger bracket, I recommend looking for one from the earlier Standard models or an XS500. These combine the passenger footpeg and the muffler hanger bracket in one .....

@5twins if using the earlier standard rear peg exhaust hangers do you think you'd need a spacer to mount these Commandos? Do you think with the longer hanger that you could bolt right into the muffler, or do you think you're always gonna need that hanger strap to mount?

You may get away with just your hanger. As I mentioned, I used XS500 hangers. They are slightly smaller than the 650 ones and didn't quite reach 100% onto the muffler track but were close enough. The front hole fell just in front of the track .....

vTv2ex0.jpg

BnRYDrc.jpg

wrooSt0.jpg

So, my front mounting bolt isn't through the track, but it's close enough to it to just "clamp" the tapped bar to the track. These mufflers have been on the bike for years and the mount is holding up just fine.

Just about every aftermarket exhaust seems to need some "tweaking" to get it fitted up. This one is no different but I think the modding needed is just minor. I can't say what yours may need. Please report on the install.

In the end I feel these old style Commandos with the removal baffle bolt are worth the effort. I think they're about the nicest 650 muffler around and am glad to see them being made again.

Great pics, very helpful, thanks 5T.

Jim - I missed that in your build thread, but thanks for the reference. It's good to know what "doing it 100% the right way" looks like, lol. I hope I don't need to go such lengths.

I should be getting into this in the next few weeks. I'll take lots of pics and report back. Thanks for the help fellas.

The headpipes on my '78 are the MAC brand and kick up much more on the ends than the MikesXS ones .....

8xen8Ef.jpg

You may very well need to make up some small extension brackets to add to your stock hangers. I've only mounted these new type MikesXS headers to a couple of Special models, no Standards (yet).

Back