"Finding TDC using a piston stop" video

Your homemade piston stop looks pretty slick. How about some info on how you made that? Is it adjustable?

Nice and simple. I don't have a piston stop and don't plan on making one...but do you know if that's a 14mm piston stop tool?http://www.650motorcycles.com/CamTiming.html
I just used a straw down the plug hole and checked cam pin was straight up like it says in link. I don't have woodruff key in and would like to make sure I'm at tdc..so it's not off

Last edited:
I would say yes because the diameter of the spark plug threads is 14mm.

Well done, Carbon! You make it look so easy!

Thanks 2Many it's perdy easy
Your homemade piston stop looks pretty slick. How about some info on how you made that? Is it adjustable?

Thanks 5twins, It s no adjustable I didn't want to go to the trouble.
I removed the electrode that gav me a hole about 1/2" in depth.
I used a metal valve stem extender,and 5 minute epoxy.
mixed a very small amount of the epoxy
I put the spark plug in the vice hole side up put a little epoxy in the hole.
I let it set for 2 minutes then pushed the valve stem extender in the hole got it straight It will be hard after mixing in 5 minutes
It is just a bit long 1/4" to 3/8" should removed for this app
I only had a couple threads holding it in the head

Nice and simple. I don't have a piston stop and don't plan on making one...but do you know if that's a 14mm piston stop tool?

its 14mmx1.25 pitch,

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 312
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 278
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 298
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 325
Ok I get it now...I'll just make one...about how long should length be from bottom of threads to tip of stopper? I see where you measured from in your pic...should 1 1/2 be ok?

Last edited:
Very nice little video! The first time i did this i was def a bit confused.

Last time I used blue-tac and attached a degree wheel with a hole in the centre to allow me to rotate the engine. I just printed one, glued it to some card. I made a reference point with a nail welded to a bolt and thread it into one of the threaded holes for the cover. The degree wheel helps with accuracy and visualising. Once on the money, degree wheel off, cover on and marked TDC accordingly.

go make a video on how to degree your cam now :-D

I'm not looking forward to pressing mine off and on since I don't have a press, but I do have some heat.

Bottom line, great video, can't wait to use it.

Today I made an other quick video using a degree wheel this time.
I used my camera to fine tune the finding of TDC as well as to document
I snapped two pix then put them on computer and magnified to see where the 2 marks would go.

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 256
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 255
Thanks for the video. I just used the first method the other day to find TDC since the engine must have moved when transferred my origin marks to the PMA. It's probably not perfect, but when I hit the engine with a timing light it landed right on fire and didn't go past advance so hopefully I'm in the ballpark.

Thanks for the video. I just used the first method the other day to find TDC since the engine must have moved when transferred my origin marks to the PMA.

Videos seem great. Sort of wonder why similar videos don't come with the PMA kits?

I'm still in awe you all keep purchsing these junk kits. You're buying at wholesale $90 in parts and they're selling them for $300.
$10 rec/reg
$55 stator
$35ish mag
Wait I forgot they give you a rotor puller. So, when replacing it for the thrid time gets easier!

At $300 you should be able to have a machine shop broach a rotor and mark it. Have proper connectors etc

Anyways. Videos are great tools. Hopefully you keep making them. Maybe you could SELL them to the fellas who compile PMA kits.

I have a bunch of handmade piston stops that are adjustable. If anyone would like one DM me an addy. I'll just charge $8 for the shipping.

Posted via Mobile

Videos seem great. Sort of wonder why similar videos don't come with the PMA kits?

I'm still in awe you all keep purchsing these junk kits. You're buying at wholesale $90 in parts and they're selling them for $300.
$10 rec/reg
$55 stator
$35ish mag
Wait I forgot they give you a rotor puller. So, when replacing it for the thrid time gets easier!

At $300 you should be able to have a machine shop broach a rotor and mark it. Have proper connectors etc

Anyways. Videos are great tools. Hopefully you keep making them. Maybe you could SELL them to the fellas who compile PMA kits.

I have a bunch of handmade piston stops that are adjustable. If anyone would like one DM me an addy. I'll just charge $8 for the shipping.

Posted via Mobile

Honestly dude, fuck off. Everyone is pretty well sick of your I hate Hugh campaign, we get it, move on.

Honestly dude, fuck off. Everyone is pretty tightwell sick of your I hate Hugh campaign, we get it, move on.

LOL you wanna keep buying garbage from total fakes. Go ahead. Its not a campaign against a single shop. If it were I'd shift my business to include xs650s and put him out of business. Doubt hes even full-time.

Posted via Mobile

Back