First Build ever, another chopper/bobber

Capslocker

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello. think it's time to finally post what i'm trying to create. :)

I'm Jerome, and I'm living in Belgium. Been into motorcycles since the day I could ride one. Got my bike licence before my car licence. I've been driving racers and allroaders since.

I always, one day, wanted to built a motorcycle. This is maybe due to watching 10 years hot rod and car shows on the discovery channel and attending local rockabilly meetings :D

After school I followed night school mechanics class and took a few welding classes. All that is now about 7 years ago. And working in the ICT isn't really helping to maintain my skills :).

So one day I bought a welder and started practicing. The other day I learned about someone who's having 3 xs's almost completely dismantled in boxes. Went out and got them.

I decided to use an 82 xs SE frame for the build.

I want something that is long and low chopper/bobber-ish thing. So I decided to go for a David bird hardtail 6" strech and 3" drop in combination with a -4" Springer.

I'm trying to fab most of the parts myself including the neck, seat, and fake oil tank, exhaust etc.

some pics:

securely mounted the frame on the bench

Hardtailing:

doing the neck:

Rolling chassis:

Seat:

Lowbrow P-nut gastank:

Don't mind the red engine, I not sure wich collors I want to go for.

still a long way to go before :bike: . For me, this is one learning process :D

Last edited:
that's one helluva start to a learning process!! Love that springer front end, looking forward to seeing this one progress!!

it took ten years? Wow. I remember those days of discovery. I turned down volume and just watched to see the bikes/cars.
I like the red engine. If it was painted with quality paint, I would keep it. Unless your holding out on us with another skill.
I really like those seat springs. Were did you get them?

Dig the springer up front and how low it sits, great start!!!!!!!!!!!! And could you build me a seat pan like that one!!!!

one thing I noticed, that fork lock. I thought the later bikes fork locks were integral to the key switch? Did you cut up the right frame?

one thing I noticed, that fork lock. I thought the later bikes fork locks were integral to the key switch? Did you cut up the right frame?

Don't know, the chassis i've cut up matches the vin number on the paperwork from the '82 :)
Other frames are 77 and 79 and they all have the steering lock at the same position.

I found the springs in a local bike shop. The Guy is selling on ebay too. If you want i try to look for his ebay shop.

The engine is painted with heat resistent paint. It looks really Nice. I was planning to do red Rims and I am affraid the red won't Be the same as the engine's red.

Time for an update. In between life and work I found some time continue my built:

Oil tank aka. Electronics box.

I've put the ignition key on the spot were you normally fill the tank. On the other side of the tank, on the side, I will put a start button and a light switch. Inside the tank i'll try to put the fuse box and other stuff.

I also made the exhaust. It is not finished yet, I still need to make mouting brackets but this is pretty much the way I want it to look.

The rear fender is just resting on the tire, not yet attached to the bike. I also don't like the original design of it so next time i'll attack the fender with my angle grinder.

Oh, and I changed handle bars aswell. Much better look I think!

Thanks for the reply's :)
I really like the result of the exhaust. It took some time and some trial and error to make them but i'm pretty happy now.

There is still one thing i'm not sure about. Where do i place the footpegs. I'm breaking my head over it now. I'd love to stay with mid controlls but with the exhausts it is quite difficult now. Anyone idea's?

You won't need or miss mid controls on a chop like this. Go with forwards and be happy. Getting rid of the mids on our chopper was a great improvement for looks and cleanliness.

Hello guys,

This built is not death :)
I'm still working on it!

Unfortunately time is a rare thing :D

I'll get back soon with some pics!

Sorry for the late reply :)

By that time they cancelled the locked down for Brussels. The AirPort opend again last week.

There are Still soldiers and cops everywhere. They really are doing a Great job.
The only thing failing in Belgium (and europe) are politics. the politicians led to what has happened here and in Paris. Even now there are suburbs in Brussels where you can't come. Our "leaders" are to affraid to do something because every time they say something about those people they are called racists.

We all knew something like march 22 was coming. And we all know there is more to come...

Back