first time having the engine apart since I have had her

mortikan

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
well, I thought I would post up that I am doing a little heart surgery. My old girl is blowing oil from the left side cylinder. I have done compression test right is 125 left is 50 or there about. I get no real sound from the engine(unusual knocking or tapping) I can see and smell gas on my plug. She will start and run on 1 cylinder without load on the engine
I have adjusted the valves last year and adjusted fine. I am not sure if it's ring or maybe blowback from the valve not seating.

I have everything off the engine so I am going to pull the top end very soon. and we will see. will keep this updated

wish me luck
Mortikan

no engine is tight no oil leaks from anywhere
oil/unburned gas is spraying from left side exhaust.

Still might be head gasket, on the inboard (oil galley) side. I'd take it down to the head gasket and see how that is. If it's visibly screwed, that's probably your issue. If not, might as well rip the top end totally off, do rings/new seals/general cleanup.

I think your right.

I have a question maybe some one can answer.

can I pull the top end with out removing the engine?

I have the clutch side cover off. the chain removed all the electronics disconnected just being held in place by bottom, front and back engine mounts. I was thinking about stability but not sure for clearance if it can be done.

thanks
Mortikan

my haynes helped me assemble the old girl when I first bought the frame 5 years ago. I have found it to be the most valuable thing. I will consult the guide as I go.

thanks
Kyle

so I have taken a few pics I will post them soon and, My top end is off. I have the cam chain tensioner out and I am looking at my cam. A good friend has a cam chain break.One of the tools I have not gotten around to buying and hopefully I don't have to but, we will see.

I am planning on breaking the chain tonight and finish taking off the jugs and see what I can see. I do not plan on taking the bottom end apart she was shifting fine and I have no issues with it so trying to keep this as simple as possible.

It's amazing how quickly all the gaskets and seals and new bolts and new cam chain and everything else add up when your doing this.

will keep this updated

Cheers Mortikan

Why R u splitting the cam chain to do top end work?
R U replacing it?
Do you know you don't need to split it if it's ok?
I'm putting my money on a valve problem with your bike.
Cheers.

Well, I got the cam chain broke. I needed to get to the valves and the cylinders that is why I took off the cam chain. I figured I might as well put a new one on if I am going through the trouble of finding my problem.
good news my rockers are great. my cam is great. my tensior bar looks brand new the chain also looked brand new. I have all the mating surfaces cleaned up.

Now since I am new to all this I am taking my jugs and my valves to a shop where a friend works who does this for a living and see what he thinks before I do anything else.

but to my untrained eye, looks to be a sticky valve. the cylinders are great no scoring at all. Now I did notice my rings were not as tight as I would have thought they should be I can take them off both sides with my hands, so I am getting new rings.
the top of the pistons were two different colors. the one that was firing (right if your sitting on bike)was black and wet with carbon the side that was not firing(left if your sitting on bike) was brown and dry.
this is the odd thing the valves of right that was firing the intake was black little wet with carbon and the exhaust was brown and dry. the left side(that was not firing) both were black with carbon and wet looking.
I would have not expected to find them this way.

I am going down tomorrow morning to have the shop look at the entire top end and will keep this updated.

thanks guys

Roy you were right, it was easier than I thought.

first of what I hope will be many pictures of my engine

Attachments

• 28335_114717348562454_100000725673698_129119_2007241_n.jpg
    28335_114717348562454_100000725673698_129119_2007241_n.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 89
SO, an update. I had my cylinders bead honed and they look good. I checked my vale guides and there is no leak there. I do have some pitting on one of the valve seats on the side I was blowing oil.
when I took the valves out they are pretty crusty with carbon.

need some suggestions should I just buy new valves and keepers from mikes. or do I clean these up and reuse them.

thanks
Mortikan

- seats and valves can be cleaned up refaced...the stem end where the valve meets the tappet is another story

I am leaning toward just buying new and starting fresh. I am one to admit I should not measure when it comes to a micrometer, so to the machine shop I go, I am going to take my piston and cylinder/rings down to see if they all fall within spec for the bike. Hopefully I can do this soon. then we will know where I stand

some pictures of before and after I have started to take some of the carbon off the cylinders. well, I started with one to give a before and after.
something interesting I have found. the lip has had some material removed. I don't know how else to explain it you will see the pictures where I am pointing it has been done on both sides.
until I get back to the shop to talk to the expert I don't know if this could be affecting how she runs

Attachments

• IMG_9646.jpg
    IMG_9646.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 120
I am sorry I tried to do this a a group upload but it would not fly so I have to do them individually

Attachments

• IMG_9645.jpg
    IMG_9645.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 110
Back