First xs650

KBlair

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to say "Hello" and show off pics of the 81 I picked up yesterday.

http://picasaweb.google.com/kevin.b.norris/Xs650?feat=directlink

Supposedly has been modified to a 750, I won't know for sure till I break it down. I think this is going to be a brat project, not really sure at this point. Picked this little scooter up so that I won't be tempted to tear down my everyday ride, 96 Vulcan 1500 Classic. Got a whole box of spare parts including another set of carbs off an 82 and about 5lbs of bolts, nuts, washers, springs and clips still in bags with part numbers, a Haynes manual and a couple of CDROMs of technical info. Sounded like a good starting point. Unfortunately, she doesn't run. So I'm going to see if I can get her started before I tear the engine down and do a complete rebuild. This is a learning project for me so don't expect finished pics anytime soon.

I'm in Central Alabama if anyone wants to get together and go to Barber for a little inspiration! :thumbsup:

Last edited:
- servus, could be a good score, couldnt get the link to work, enjoy the project :thumbsup:

- :thumbsup: nice heritage, whats that in the background -the karatay chop, looks also an XS too? :bike:

Thx, frame number is 4N9, which makes it a Special II? And that's the front end of a Suzuki 250 something, was at the PO's place. Karatay Chop I stole pic off the interweb cause I liked the cap, yes it's an XS.

It looks better in pics than it actually is, rattle can paint on everything, but it's getting stripped, chopped, stretched, etc. I'm thinking no chrome, flat black and red powder coat.

Don't think I'm going hardtail, I like the mono shock ideas but this time around I'll probably stick with dual rear shocks. Just a little stretch and a little lowering, but I def want to put cherry bombs on the exhaust :yikes: Maybe run without a battery but prob not. I am liking the speedo mounted in the headlamp housing ideas, gotta keep it street legal too

This bike officially has a name: Project Black Betty (BamBaDam!) :).

Battery shot, but she does turn over. I'm not sure what these engines are supposed to sound like, but there's some metallic clanging going on. Didn't get a chance to check for spark or anything because as we were moving her into the shop we stirred up a yellow jacket nest that was hidden in the wall. Oops! My bro got stung on his lower lip which proceeded to swell 4x normal size, he abandoned the project at that point. Can't say I blame him. Gonna start a build thread as soon as I get to a real computer. FYI, you can't upload pic to here from an iPad.

One way to check for a 750 kit is to check compression. The stock 650 has around 8.4 compression ratio with 145 lbs of compression. The 750 kit may have around 9.5 ratio with 190-200 psi compression.

Thx Leo! I'm honestly doubting it's a 750 now, but we will see. The jugs are stamped 643cc or whatever, don't know if the 750 kits have diff markings or if they are just rebored factory parts.

Until Mike's started selling his kits, most 750 kits where home built. Pulling the sleeves out of the 650 jugs, boring the jugs to fit over size sleeves. New pistons and you have a 750. Their is much more to the actual job. This is just the very basic change over.
When done this way the cc marking on the jugs won't change.
I would run the compression check just to see what it is. If its well above the stock 145 lbs it just might be a 750.
Over at the garage they have quite a bit of information on how to increase the cc's. Some as far as 840 cc's.

Last edited:
it's not fair. you get a really nice bike and you are going to chop it all to bits while i have a junker bike that i HAVE to chop to bits. i'll trade you.

Back