Fool me once...

Downeaster

Everything in XS
Top Contributor
Reaction score
and we know how the rest of that one goes.

Working on the 'Cat and got the carb all cleaned up and reinstalled. Time to see if it will start and run.

I've had the maintainer on the baddry since we shoved it in the garage, green light says it's charged. Neutral, parking brake, ignition, kill switch off, hit the button...zippo. Not even a click. Huh. Spent several minutes double and triple checking that I hadn't missed a safety switch. All good, still nada. Put a meter on the baddry, 4 volts. Ah. Wonder why the maintainer had a green light?

Oh well, I have a full size truck battery on the bench, grab some jumper cables and hook 'em up and...STILL bupkis. Da Fuq? Well, sometimes jumper cables can be tricky to get a good connections so I bought a solenoid, made up some cables and hooked it directly to the starter motor, bypassing all the bike's wiring. Clickety-clickety-click but no ruh-ruh-ruh. What in the hell? I'd had a different maintainer on that and it had a green light too. Put a meter on it, and got 12.xx volts. Hit the start button and it pulled right down to 6.xx.

Well eff me with a stick, THAT baddry is bad too! Put my BIG roll around charger on it, set it to boost and RUH-RUH-RUH and with a little more mucking about...VROOOM!

Need to adjust the carb and finish putting the plastic back on, but overall, mission accomplished.

Actually, I think they work fine as maintainers, it's charging they don't seem to do very well. We shall see, I guess.

I will be checking any suspect or unknown batteries with a load tester before counting on them. Which, of course, I knew but ignored "because"...

I have had two separate Interstate brand maintainers that were sometimes very touchy upon connecting to a bike battery? I finally got around to metering the wires coming out the charger, with the wiggle test. Sure enough intermittently no out put? discovered on both these testers the in line connector has issues internally. I cut that connector totally off the charger, and wired the cord back together. Both chargers have worked just perfectly fine every since. Maybe (China components) Ya think!
Back shift

Back