Foot control the front brake

Sn34ky

Farmer's can build bike 2
Reaction score
Hey guys! I have a '79 with disc on both wheels... I wonder if the rear master cylinder can handle a front and rear brake setup on the foot??

I'll probably need a proportioning valve?? what else?

thank you all!! Any tips will be appriciated!

A good life insurance policy?

Gold Wing GL1500 ran the left side front brake and the rear brake off one cylinder. You might look into getting that particular master cylinder. Had a 4 piston Nissin Caliper on front and a 2 piston rear Nissin.

The goal is to actuate the front brake with the rear brake lever on the foot, that way I'll can clean up the bar removing the right hand lever.

The gl m/c is a great idea, but I wonder what's the bias? I'll search on that!

thanks!

There may be others as well, but Honda is best known for it. Honda calls it the Linked Braking System. You can google that up and find out more. Hope this helps.

BMW also offered a linked brake system too, it was complicated as hell. 'Bias' is how much pressure goes to where when you hit the pedal, there are a LOT of things that affect brake bias: m/c bore, caliper bore, distance of the caliper from the center of the wheel, all kinds of stuff. It's easy to get that kind of stuff wrong.

I saw an XS in a thread here in this forum just a few days ago that was built just that way.

Yeah saw it, the one with proportioning valve...

What is the bore size of the stock rear M/C? What you guys think I need to look in bore size to have enough juice to push those 2 pistons?

The bad thing about a foot VS a hand is the lack of feel. I'm thinking you are going to want a smaller bore with a fair amount of travel so you can have some finesse with it. If you go with a big dog master that fills the calipers and rises pressure too fast, it may be an overly sensitive setup that wants to lock the back up right about the time the front gets really effective for you. You're in Indian Country my friend. May require some experimentation to get it right.

moto guzzi had a p/valve on some of their bikes,a bloke here has one on his harley trike (he only has 1 arm and 1 leg) the bias he set up is 60f/40back and has been running it that way for alot of years with no trouble

Linked brakes without ABS seems daunting under extreme braking conditions but who knows, maybe with a p/valve you could make it work. My biggest concern would be those occasions when you're on a hill and need to stop with your right foot on the ground but can't because you have no separate front brake control.

Linked brakes without ABS seems daunting under extreme braking conditions but who knows, maybe with a p/valve you could make it work. My biggest concern would be those occasions when you're on a hill and need to stop with your right foot on the ground but can't because you have no separate front brake control.

That's a good point! :doh: It's kinda hilly up here ...

Someone have try a cable pull remote front m/c??

That's a good point! :doh: It's kinda hilly up here ...

Someone have try a cable pull remote front m/c??

Learned about front brakes the hard way-- just passing along a few classes from the School of Hard Knocks. :bike:

I honestly love the idea of clean bars with little or nothing on them but if you really plan on riding the bike... Reality bites sometimes.

But here's what might work. A stopped only brake designed only for holding you when you need to put your right foot down. Link your brakes but add a tiny cable operated MC and small bicycle brake lever or just a small bicycle MC. The bicycle levers and MC fit 7/8" bars but are smaller and less noticeable though not invisible. But don't just run out and buy/try this stuff as it will take some engineering to figure out if it will work.

Or, you might want to hook the bicycle MC up to a separate front brake caliper-- perhaps dual front discs hooked to different master cylinders. Or Or, if you really wanted to get fancy you could use a remote M/C hooked to a separate front brake driven by an electric solonid and a small push button on the handle bars.

As a friend of mine used to say, "Where there's a Will there's a ray."

Back