Footpeg Reuse

xlr8tn

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone chop/reuse their stock footpeg brackets on a cafe build? I'd like to cut and weld the forward arm to the back to better position my pegs. I was thinking about using a set of r6 rearsets. Let's see some pics.

I used that method for high mids

1419836130.jpg

I guess I am planning to do something like you suggest, using the earlier type footpeg rubbers (round, and neater looking than the stock, square type on my -77), but I haven't got around to finishing it yet. I plan on having the footpeg centres between the mounting studs, which gives me the stance I want, when using a LSL Superbike bar with 50 mm (2") rise. (I am around 5'9")
As I alrady have a custom made spoked disc brake rear wheel, I will use a brake pedal from an Aprilia RS125 (nice, lightweight alloy) and a Brembo master cylinder from a Ducati. Obviously this will not look period, but hopefully result in a strong and predictable rear brake.

However, while enjoying myself immensely at the (Philip) Island Classic Roadraces in January 2011, I saw an XS with rearsets made from the stock pegs. Basically the pegs were slightly forward and below the lower of the 2 mounting studs, which gives a fairly neutral riding position. This bike looked like a mostly stock daily rider, not super clean, but in good order.
The gear lever and linkage looked pretty similar to something from an early 70's Yamaha LS2 100 cc twin, or RS100 single, very basic. A simple bracket for the pivot bolt was welded just above the left footpeg.
The stock (drum) rear brake pedal was used, and a new pivot bushing welded further aft on the frame, so the pedal to peg distance ended up around the same as stock. This may cause increased brake "jitter" when the rear suspension is moving, but on the other hand will mainain the leverage ratio. Ideally a shortened pedal, in combination with a brake arm shortened to the same proportion, then a raised pivot point that keeps the fwd end of the brake rod in its stock position would be best.

This setup can definitely be made to look very close to factory, which no alloy rearsets will. The one thing I do not know anything about, is kickstarter clearance.

I do have some pics of this setup from Phillip Island, but unfortunately I left my camera at home, and will not be home again before the 14th or therabouts. Feel free to PM me if you want these pics! And maybe the Aussie owner or one of his buddies are on this forum !

Last edited:
Love rear sets. But most seem to have a compromise. From kicker clearance, to limited adjustability, and whether the pegs are 'designed' to fold or not. I retained/reused the stock mounts, but used '82 H*nda V45 Magna pegs with a tab welded to the underside to angle them up slightly to keep my legs close to the tank without straining. Then I cut some stainless heel pads for support when fully tucked.

First and second pic show the '71 straight kicker, the last pic is a late model (SG) Special kicker that hugs the motor closer with no problem clearing the peg.

Attachments

• S4023524.JPG
    S4023524.JPG
    240 KB · Views: 260
  • S4023525.JPG
    S4023525.JPG
    233.8 KB · Views: 246
  • S4023526.JPG
    S4023526.JPG
    144.1 KB · Views: 236
  • S4023527.JPG
    S4023527.JPG
    229.2 KB · Views: 205
  • S4023528.JPG
    S4023528.JPG
    235.7 KB · Views: 232
  • S4024325.JPG
    S4024325.JPG
    181.8 KB · Views: 207
NONclow,
The stock footpegs are definitely a compromise as well, and mostly positioned so they do not interfere with kickstarter clearance and do not require a gear linkage.
In my opinion, they are way too far forward for comfort and control. Just sit on an XS with stock footpegs, and try to stand up slightly without holding on to the handlebar....Will not work, you will fall backwards.

Generally, for best all round ergonomics, the pegs should be located under the riders centre of gravity when in the riding position. Then if you need to stand up slightly due to a bump in the road, etc, you can do so without pulling or pushing on the handlebar and upsetting the bikes handling.

On the other hand, some rearsets are set too far back, making you "fall" forward when standing up, creating the opposite problem of the stock peg location. As far as I can see, the only benefit of this kind of setup is that it allows a full roadrace "tuck" when combined with clip-ons. For the street the only benefit is looks.

I do believe the peg position of some bigger adventure bikes, like KTM etc. is about the ideal compromise, but that's just my opinion. For some reason, some riders like to sit like a bag of potatoes on their bikes, while others seem to enjoy being folded over double.....

arcticXS: Your custom job sounds pretty slick. But the OP wanted to reuse the STOCK hangers (he also asked for pics :wink2: ). One image comes to mind; a monkey f**kin' a football, but I don't like to be forced to stay that way. Hence the STOCK 'hangers' and diff pegs/heel peg combo. No blood clots in my knees:), and no linkage issues or kicker probs! Mine is done with STOCK shifter and rear brake lever, and also: easier to get parts for- there were literally tens of thousands (likely more, too lazy to research at this moment....) of these things made :laugh:

I agree that my setup is not made entirely from modified stock parts. Maybe I interpreted the initial question differently, but the XS that I saw at Phillip Island, Australia had "mild rearsets" made from modified stock pegs and hangers. The only non-stock items were gear lever and linkage, and the new rear brake pivot bushing, that was welded on the rear side of the frame cradle. I will post the pics as soon as I get home and can access my camera.

I have been playing around with some plates I had a friend make for me. He got a new water jet at work so I sent him some dimensions to cut for me. He used 1/2" steel plate and they are very sturdy. I'm not real crazy about the shape but the placement is comfortable. I have two options so far, one is using harley pegs and clevis to allow them to fold. Im not big on the pegs, just had them laying around. The other is to modify stock passenger pegs and weld them to the brackets. These would also fold to clear the kicker. Either route I will need to shorten the stock shifter and brake arms to work.

I will likely abandon them all together and opt for a set of Old School Speed's mid controls though.

Attachments

• 20150103_195953.jpg
    20150103_195953.jpg
    234.4 KB · Views: 231
  • 20150103_200031.jpg
    20150103_200031.jpg
    273.7 KB · Views: 232
All,
I now have the pictures of the rearsets made form modified stock pegs and hangers. However, I am at sea, and the internet connection is too slow for uploading any pics. But our company email works, even when attaching pictures. So if anyone could/ are willing to upload them, just send me your email in a PM.

Back