For Sale - For Sale: 1977 Yamaha XS650D Survivor

Price
$3250 obo

Racerxnico

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
≈21k miles

Helping a friend with the sale of this motorcycle. He inherited it from his dad (who I understand was the original owner) when he passed away a few years ago. While my friend has maintained the tabs and ridden it a few times since taking possession of it, he isn’t a motorcycle guy and had decided that it is time to let it go.

As near as I can tell it has been garage kept its entire life as there isn’t much of the typical corrosion one would expect to see on a bike of this vintage if it spent any time outside.

While it would start with one kick, it was apparent that it did need a bit of work so over the last month I have:

• Rebuilt the front brakes, both the caliper and master cylinder
  • Adjusted the regulator (it was overcharging and cooking the battery)
  • New sealed AGM battery
  • Checked and adjusted valve clearances
  • Retorqued head bolts
  • Electric starter wasn’t working so I pulled it to investigate. It bench tested fine so I put it back in and it works. The lower insulator boot was gone and because of the way it was in, I speculate that it may have been shorting back to the frame (friend says it hasn’t worked as long as he could remember). When I reinstalled, I put and new insulator boot on it and flipped wire to give more clearance. Electric start works now.
  • The tach was very sluggish so I opened it up and cleaned out old sticky residue, lubed with white lithium, and now it works as it should.
  • At some point in its life, someone welded a foot to the kickstand, but it made the stand effectively useless as it was too tall and wouldn’t lean. I removed the foot so it leans on side stand as it should.
  • The fork seals were leaking and the dust boots were cracked so I replaced them and gave it fresh 10w fork oil.
The bad: Will need new tires as these are old and the rear is worn. The mufflers have corrosion bubbles. There is a bit of battery acid corrosion around the battery box. The gas tank has some dents on the right hand side.

It isn’t perfect, but I do love that motor. On shake down runs accelerating hard in 3rd gear, it just seems to pull harder and harder (like it wants to pull out from under me). I’m planning on riding it to some local bike nights this month to see what sort of interest it generates.

Located in Seattle and I'd prefer to not ship it, but mostly because I am unfamiliar with doing so and for the right price maybe I could learn :D . I had a dream last week that someone in Arizona was willing to give me $7k if i would ride it down to deliver 🤣

I really don't know how to put a value on this, but giving it my best guess @ $3250 OBO

Pics below are all reduced, but I can send full resolution and anything else you would like to see as well.

Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_2707.jpg
    IMG_2707.jpg
    576.7 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_4066.JPG
    IMG_4066.JPG
    558.9 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_4067.JPG
    IMG_4067.JPG
    429.1 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_4068.JPG
    IMG_4068.JPG
    391.3 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_4069.JPG
    IMG_4069.JPG
    381.9 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_4070.JPG
    IMG_4070.JPG
    489 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_4071.JPG
    IMG_4071.JPG
    417.8 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_4072.JPG
    IMG_4072.JPG
    383.3 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_4073.JPG
    IMG_4073.JPG
    307.5 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_4074.JPG
    IMG_4074.JPG
    367.6 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_4075.JPG
    IMG_4075.JPG
    480 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_4076.JPG
    IMG_4076.JPG
    463.6 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_4077.JPG
    IMG_4077.JPG
    468.1 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_4078.JPG
    IMG_4078.JPG
    397.7 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_4079.JPG
    IMG_4079.JPG
    319 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_4080.JPG
    IMG_4080.JPG
    470.3 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_4081.JPG
    IMG_4081.JPG
    324.4 KB · Views: 43
I did get one nibble when I was at "old bike night". Waiting to see if that develops. Going to bring it by a motorcycle swap meet on the 11th and then will probably list on Craig's list and Facebook Marketplace as well. When I was riding home that night, I learned the bulbs in the speedo are out so I may yet replace those and the white "headlight" indicator seems to have a bit of a dodgy connection as it would blink on and off so I'll try to look into that as well.

I have a close friend in Bremerton. He had a ‘77 in Bountiful Blue. It was a nice bike. It was well loved, but still showed well. I don’t remember the mileage. I did ride it and it operated flawlessly. He paid what I thought was too much for it and sold it for even more. If memory serves, I think it was bought and sold at over $3500. I think he told me it’s available again.
It’s my understanding that prices there are not in line with prices here in Mississippi. On anything, for that matter.

Back