Fork Shaving

jsmith1107

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
This is probably going to be very naive by me--but what is "shaving" forks mean?

I have heard of it many times on this site but not exactly sure what it means---does it mean taking off any tabs and polishing?

Thanks,
Jeff

shave forks are forks with all the brake and fender tabs removed and then smothed

Attachments

• 2015 BUILD OFF 002.jpg
    2015 BUILD OFF 002.jpg
    293.1 KB · Views: 279
I used a 4" cut-off wheel, 3m roloc, and a lot of sand paper, then followed with a buffer. not perfect, but gudnuf. I regret cutting my fender tabs off, though. could use a brace.

This is probably going to be very naive by me--but what is "shaving" forks mean?

I have heard of it many times on this site but not exactly sure what it means---does it mean taking off any tabs and polishing?

Thanks,
Jeff
It's a method of rendering perfectly serviceable fork sliders unuseable... It's not by chance that they come equipped for front brakes and front mudguards/fork braces.

I'm ready for disagreement but I've made my mind up...

I won't disagree. It may be fine on some new massive 43mm fork but our old 34 and 35mm units need more support than just the wheel bolted in there. The single disc adds to the problem, exerting lots of twisting force when applied. Before I braced mine, I could grab the front brake and pump the forks up and down in my driveway, and watch the front tire move side to side under the fender.

shave forks are forks with all the brake and fender tabs removed and then smothed
This "no front brake" thing I simply don't get.

When the front brake of a bike, single disc or twin disc, provides at least 2/3rds of the vehicle braking, why oh why would anyone want to reduce the capability of their bike?

Any "shaved" riders brave enough to tell their stories of failing to stop because the back brake wasn't enough?

This "no front brake" thing I simply don't get.

When the front brake of a bike, single disc or twin disc, provides at least 2/3rds of the vehicle braking, why oh why would anyone want to reduce the capability of their bike?

Any "shaved" riders brave enough to tell their stories of failing to stop because the back brake wasn't enough?

I doubt anyone will fess up.

I think they drive around with a speed limit of 30 mph / 50 kms/h , so they don't crap in their pants when they almost rear end someone.:shrug:

Well, I'm brave enough to fess up - I shaved the unused brake lugs off my left lower, with a hacksaw, even. It took some filing and sanding to smooth out but I'm a retired old fart, all I got is time. The lugs on the right lower hold a Ducati 4-pot caliper that acts on an XS1100 disc, so I've got maybe 10x the front braking power that any reasonable 650 needs. I've had a Tkat brace on my 650 for several years - glad I have it and know there are several other good ones out there - take your pick, but for sure, put one on.

Well, I'm brave enough to fess up - I shaved the unused brake lugs off my left lower, with a hacksaw, even. It took some filing and sanding to smooth out but I'm a retired old fart, all I got is time. The lugs on the right lower hold a Ducati 4-pot caliper that acts on an XS1100 disc, so I've got maybe 10x the front braking power that any reasonable 650 needs. I've had a Tkat brace on my 650 for several years - glad I have it and know there are several other good ones out there - take your pick, but for sure, put one on.

Jbinnington is asking for comments from those who run with no front brake. You have done a big improvement to braking with the 4 piston up front, so no medal for bravery can be awarded.:D

I doubt anyone will fess up.

I think they drive around with a speed limit of 30 mph / 50 kms/h , so they don't crap in their pants when they almost rear end someone.:shrug:

I'll fess up I don't have front brakes on my chopper/bobber and I don't ride 30mph,I'll run with the rest of the pack so am I bad guy for that well I'am a BIKER, and we just don't have any sense I guess... keep chopp'n

I shaved the brake tabs off my right one. Left the fender tabs though, as I have a Gordon Scott fork brace to go on.

Band saw, grinder and still need to file and smooth before paint.

When I bought my first XS a previous owner had shaved the brake mounts off. I still rode it, and everything was fine so long as nothing sudden happened. There were occasions where I would wind up skidding into a intersection, and at least once where a driver in front of me hammered on the brakes for a turn they nearly missed(and I just missed them). The rear drum would lock the rear up easily, and you'd go into a very controllable skid.

Eventually I got rid of the 34MM forks and got a 35mm set with a dual disc setup.

When I bought my first XS a previous owner had shaved the brake mounts off. I still rode it, and everything was fine so long as nothing sudden happened. There were occasions where I would wind up skidding into a intersection, and at least once where a driver in front of me hammered on the brakes for a turn they nearly missed(and I just missed them). The rear drum would lock the rear up easily, and you'd go into a very controllable skid.

Eventually I got rid of the 34MM forks and got a 35mm set with a dual disc setup.

Thank you for sharing that near miss accident experience. Your wise choice to add front brakes will perhaps encourage the "fork shavers", to see the light and make safety a priority.

I'll fess up I don't have front brakes on my chopper/bobber and I don't ride 30mph,I'll run with the rest of the pack so am I bad guy for that well I'am a BIKER, and we just don't have any sense I guess... keep chopp'n

Dog.................you're just a thrill seeker, living life on the edge:). Seriously though, I hope you live a long life.

Back