Metal Shavings inside advance cover

BlackRabbit18

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Sigh, need help again in folks. Just recently did a reseal of the top end and I am now currently re torquing the head for the 3rd time. I took the advance cover off and saw a lot of metal shavings inside and scoring. I’m guessing I have installed something wrong/backwards any ideas? Thanks as always! Xs1

Attachments

• 0BA8E69C-B718-440A-83C5-C9295898BE05.jpeg
    0BA8E69C-B718-440A-83C5-C9295898BE05.jpeg
    357.6 KB · Views: 66
  • 28DAE591-8E33-4B35-A947-CAA5BA2EAEE6.jpeg
    28DAE591-8E33-4B35-A947-CAA5BA2EAEE6.jpeg
    304.6 KB · Views: 68
How did you center the cam when you put the top end back together?

My guess is you'll need to remove the advance and see where it's rubbing. The advance plate screws onto the cam. So either something on the plate is bent or stuck out, rubbing against the housing or the cam is offset to the left drawing the advance plate too far in.
In any case, I'd start taking things apart until you can see where the advance is hitting and go from there.

I ain't no expert of those mechanical advances, but I always put the flange on the ring nut facing inward - helps center the advance plate - in the pic, it looks like the flange is facing outward(??):shrug:.

I ain't no expert of those mechanical advances, but I always put the flange on the ring nut facing inward - helps center the advance plate - in the pic, it looks like the flange is facing outward(??):shrug:.
its def facing outwards and that's how it was before (not to say that makes it right) I cant find any info on what direction its supposed to face. I may just flip it tomorrow and see.

Those arrows show the a way to find the locating slot on the backing plate without removing it.

I'm with Jim on your cam not being centered correctly. I don't think the shop manual goes into this too much. You need to slide the bearings onto the cam as far in as they'll go. Then you place the cam in the head and make sure the bearing inset on each side is equal .....

CamBearingInset.JPG

Those arrows show the a way to find the locating slot on the backing plate without removing it.

I'm with Jim on your cam not being centered correctly. I don't think the shop manual goes into this too much. You need to slide the bearings onto the cam as far in as they'll go. Then you place the cam in the head and make sure the bearing inset on each side is equal .....

View attachment 243104
Yikes….

View attachment 243104
It seems to be that pin on the advance unit digging in. Maybe because it’s bent? Or maybe it bent because of the rubbing

Attachments

• D16C9135-7A63-4798-825C-B10D04025D10.jpeg
    D16C9135-7A63-4798-825C-B10D04025D10.jpeg
    215 KB · Views: 51
  • 3EBC873D-E7CB-4203-B38E-CACC738DEB50.jpeg
    3EBC873D-E7CB-4203-B38E-CACC738DEB50.jpeg
    389 KB · Views: 45
Yeah, you got an assembly issue; the advance housing can't be fully seated in the head - the cam bearings may not be inboard on the cam enough. You can loosen the rocker cover and possibly get the bearings situated properly. I think the cam seal is gonna need replaced too

Here's a good visual by Jim, a few posts down on this page: https://www.xs650.com/threads/bushyboys-build-thread.53541/page-4#post-579830

There may be a cam centering issue too. But it looks to me that the pin in the breaker shaft (second photo above) is sticking out too far, and it may have caused the pin on the back of the advance plate to get bent during assembly. On my bike, the hole in the breaker shaft that the pin sets in is drilled through, but the hole was larger on one side and the pin only fit correctly in the larger side. When seated properly, that pin only sticks out an 1/8 or so I believe.

Last edited:
There may be a cam centering issue too. But it looks to me that the pin in the breaker shaft (second photo above) is sticking out too far, and it may have resulted in the pin on the back of the advance plate to get bent during assembly. On my bike, the hole in the breaker shaft that the pin sets in is drilled through, but the hole was larger on one side and the pin only fit correctly in the larger side. When seated properly, that pin only sticks out an 1/8 or so I believe.
Yes I noticed that too! When I took everything apart and re did it that pin slipped all the way in this time. Just got back from a test ride will check the advance in the morning

View attachment 243104
im due for another re torque so my plan is to loosen the head and see if i can push in the the advance side bearing on the cam. Is that where you're thinking the issues is?

Well yes possibly. Measure the inset of the bearing as shown in post #11 on each side. It should be equal. If it's not, the cam is not centered. Here's another pic from the top, top cover removed. As you can see, the bearing sits in quite a bit, maybe 4 or 5mm .....

Cam Bearings.jpg

Well yes possibly. Measure the inset of the bearing as shown in post #11 on each side. It should be equal. If it's not, the cam is not centered. Here's another pic from the top, top cover removed. As you can see, the bearing sits in quite a bit, maybe 4 or 5mm .....

View attachment 243152
I thought mine looked similar, but it could been knocked out of place while doing other things, will inspect

Back