Fork tube position in clamp

Exploding Coffin Emporium

Day tight compartments
Reaction score
I currently and have always used the manufacturer stock position in terms of my fork tube height in relation to the upper clamp, but have heard of 1-10mm adjustments over clamp in order to improve handling, any truth to this, and also with change in rear height, does an adjustment need to be made to the front and if so, how would one determine best position?

ECE, don't ask for a recipe; you'll have to experiment and find out for yourself what you feel comfortable with. But here are the principles. Both alterations--lowering the nose and raising the rear--reduce effective rake, move weight slightly toward the front end, and move the heavy top end of the motor a little bit down and forward. Benefits: quicker and more linear steering. Downsides: 1. You may not like quicker steering; some Sawzall jockeys go to a lot of trouble and expense to slow it down. 2. Any defects in the suspension will have stronger effects.

Thanks grizld1, I personally have no qualms with keeping it in the stock position, but since a frame alteration occurred by PO, dropping the ass on her down, I was wondering about the new frame geometry altering the steering, which I'd have to imagine it would. So I'm kind of along the lines of riding/adjusting in tiny increments until I get a smooth feel throughout.

Just be aware that the drop is limited to about 1/2" at most. Go any more and you run the risk of the fork lowers hitting the lower triple tree upon full fork compression.

What did the PO do to the frame? You may need to do more than dropping the clamps to straighten things out.

If your bike is the one pictured in your avatar then yes, it is a brat style. I think it's lowered more than a half inch down on the forks will equal. But it can't hurt to try it. It may be some help.

Back