Frame and motor question.

PAhunter

Complete Noob
Reaction score
I was just wondering the following.

Is any year XS650 Frame compatable with any year motor?

The reason I ask I have found an out of the way guy here in PA that junks bikes and has frames galore and other parts but didnt know the answer to that question. Just trying to prepare myself before I go over there tommorow.

try to get a >76 frame though, if that's what you're going for.

It will depend to some extent on what he's after. I agree though that the '77 and later frames, especially the '77 to '79 standards, are the best. '77 and later also have the larger diameter fork tubes. But my preferences are due to the fact that my interests lean toward building a cafe bike that handles well. If he'll be doing a hardtail conversion, then it probably won't matter all that much which year frame is used.

Read Slowly:wtf:

I had a 72 xs motor that I tried to put in a 78 frame, I had to use the 78 motor mounts on the 72 motor because the 72 motor mounts were different and then realized the 72 frame was different. Shit did I help? I think I just confused myself.:doh:

found this on frame specs

Attachments

• framespecial.jpg
    framespecial.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 114
  • framestandard.jpg
    framestandard.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 109
  • framexs-2.jpg
    framexs-2.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 97
Read Slowly:wtf:

I had a 72 xs motor that I tried to put in a 78 frame, I had to use the 78 motor mounts on the 72 motor because the 72 motor mounts were different and then realized the 72 frame was different. Shit did I help? I think I just confused myself.:doh:[/QUOTE

difficult to put into words, I've done it the other way round with a late engine in a 72 frame

oh. Yeah, you'll have to use the mounts for the frame, but the engine's are identical. Sorry, i assumed that you'd be getting a whole frame.

The first few years the frames were not as strong as the later years. They did a lot of changes for the 74 model year. Much stiffer frame.
In 78 they came out with the specials. A few changes to the frame then.

jay760,

I am considering getting a running 78 with no title and a 72 frame with a title and swapping the parts to the 72 frame. How many problems will i run into during the swap? Any pointers?

use the engine mounts for the 72 frame and it will be a snap. The motor's outside dimensions are identical, it is only the mounts that have to match the frame. the 78's mounts will not match the 72 frame. If you need 72 mounts, I have a front and rear mount available.

use the engine mounts for the 72 frame and it will be a snap. The motor's outside dimensions are identical, it is only the mounts that have to match the frame. the 78's mounts will not match the 72 frame. If you need 72 mounts, I have a front and rear mount available.

Thanks for the info James. I haven't acquired the bikes yet but once I do I may hit you up for those mounts.

the only problem you might encounter is if you haven't got the engine mounts for the 72 frame the as the are differant on the front, can't remember if the top and back are the same, the front is 2 bent plates rather than the one big one on later models

Back