frame help

Greg

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
one of the studs that hold on the foot rest broke at the thread when i removed the foot rest is there any way to replace it:doh:

Cut off the weld around it, then drill the rest out so you can weld another in .You can use an electric 4" grinder if you don't have a cut-off wheel type.Just go easy, those 4" grinder's can be a handfull.

was thinking of that but no welder did not know if there was a easy way can i cut drill and just use a bolt not sure if ill have easy access to the back side when put back together

I think there is enough room to do the bolt through trick, but welding is assurance that the peg won't come loose on ya at the most improbable time, and it will. Also, most local garage's have mig welder's for various reasons, and the cost would be minimal.

Disconnect the battery before welding on the frame. If it has electronic ignition of any kind I would unplug the module too.

one last question any idea what kind and length bolt to use
ps im a wainer also lol

let me look a little better look at one of my chopped up frame remains tomorrow, it might make sense to drill the frame, tap some threads in it and use a stud.

I have looked at those studs. I think they are pressed in from the inside of the frame. Like the lug stud in a car hub.
I can't see a weld seam where they might be welded.
They might have been installed by heating the loop of steel on the frame and the stud installed when hot. As the steel cools the loop will grip the stud very tightly. If so then using a car lug stud might work for a replascement.
On one of mine the threads stripped off by the PM. I used a 12 by 1.50 metric die and rethreaded the stud. I have a car lug nut on that side. it's the same size I have on my van.
I think on my next trip to the salvage yard I'll pick up some chrome lug nuts and grind off the taper so it's flat on the end and thread the other side the same. Then I can have chrome acorn nuts on the pegs.

Oops went out and looked today the stock stud has a flange on the outside of the frame and the perimeter of the flange is welded. the stud sticks through to the back side of the frame and that is welded also. Looks like it would be a pistol to get it "unwelded while the engine is in the frame. Drilling it out to tap would depend on what diameter the original studs is but I don't think it's big enough to do that.

I just reread the original post: Since it snapped on just the threaded portion I would drill and tap a hole in the shank that remains and thread in a stud or bolt to hold the peg. Don't go crazy on the depth of the hole 1/2" deep max? that way you have some solid shank which is what supports the load, the threaded stud just keeps the bracket on the shank.

Back