Frame without a title... Help

cloudbreakmd

1979 Yamaha XS650 Special
Reaction score
i found a frame and swingarn locally but it has no paperwork. While I normally wouldn't buy a bike frame like this, it's super cheap. Is there a way for me to confirm that the frame is not stolen?

well, here in the other washton, I was told I could call the sheriffs office and have the number ran, so I called and told them I was wanting to buy a bike without papers at a garage sale. they emmediatly wanted to know where it was, who I was. I didn't even give them the vin. I just hung up.

Depends on where you live mostly.
Here in AZ, you can visit the local police dept, with the frame. They will tell you if the frame # has been reported stolen on THEIR database.
Note that you cannot get it registered. In order to get it registered, it has to be a roller, with an engine, and "look" complete. It then has to be trucked (unless you were ignorant enough to restore before confirming title) to the Office of Motor Vehicles (OMV), where they will run it through a DIFFERENT database. If it has not been stolen, you can then fill out some more papers, they will send a letter to the last registered owners address, and if no response, you can get a bonded title after a couple months and around $150.

HOWEVER, if the OMV database shows it stolen, they will confiscate your bike. Right there, right now. This happened to a forum member on another site I am on. Note that after a few more months of OMV investigation, he was able to get the bike back. But if the person whom it was stolen from 20 years ago happened to be found, and said "YEA, I want my bike back!" he would have been f'ckd. Xcuse my French.

If you happen to be in NH, its a bit different. While still here in AZ, I bought an un-titled Yamaha DT175 to strap to the bumper of a Motorhome. (Keep the ad where you found it for sale, and get the sellers name, address, and DL #...) Got it running without too much effort, and trailered it down to the local PRIVATE ( a lot of these are popping up in my area) OMV, and the dumbass manager looked at the VIN, and declared I must had stolen it and altered the #. WTF? She would not even run it through their database, as it was not a full 17 digits and she did not want to get involved with "... an obvious illegality". I actually had some printed info from this site regarding frame serial numbers with me, and she would not even look at it. I am not making up these words. I find it staggering how stupid some people can be. She must really think that someone would risk jail time over a $500, 40 year beat to sh!t motorcycle. ???

So I put the DT on the bumper, and we proceeded to take our vacation to a small town in NH. Where I went to their OMV equivalent. They told me a LEO had to inspect it, and he could come by the house a few hours later. He did, I filled out some forms, they ran it through their database, and my brother-in-law sent me the registration a few weeks later.

Yes, registration, not title. As NH does not issue title for motorcycles over 20 years old, per their OMV website. Weird. My next step is to take the NH registration to my downtown, REAL OMV (hopefully they will be a little brighter) and try to get a REAL title.

A bit of a pita, but watcha gonna do? I'll update this thread with my results in a couple weeks.

It is such pain in the ass to get a title I wouldn't bother unless somebody gave me the frame and $200. And then I'd probably just throw the frame in a ditch.
Here in Nebraska it will take a title search, several forms filled out, State Patrol inspection, NICs check and a three year bond. All the paper work will take about two months, cost about $50. Not bad, but the insurance bond will cost about $300. If you're dealing with a '28 Harley, you bet! An XS650? Not for me.

You can do an registration in another state (like NH) but you'll never get a title. The DMV here won't issue a title unless you can PROVE that a title was NEVER issued in ANY other state. Hint, you can't prove that. So you'll have to keep the registration current in that state as long as you own the bike. If you ever get pulled over the cops will ticket you for having an out of state registration. Selling the bike is pretty much out of the question - you've got no title so what numb nuts would buy it.

Every state is different so you might have an easier time someplace else. All I know for sure is Nebraska is a huge pain. It's been a long time since I was in a DC DMV. I don't remember them making anything easy.

Hang loose and find a bike that is all there and has a title.

Last edited:
Do you have a way to get a title and that is why you need to know if it has been stolen?
Or are you thinking you can get a title?

The reason I ask is because I live in Maryland and have never had any luck in the past 25 yrs trying to get a title for lost-title vehicles. I took one to the state police and they looked at me like I had 3 heads. They told me, no title no dice.

Hell, I have a '72 you can have.

Cloudbreakmd check in the Virgina DMV on line they have a system for reporting an abandoned vehicle. then follow the paper trail to get a title. cost about 40.00 it also does a nationwide search for stolen vehicle.

Here is a thread on titles......................Go through the whole thing, i linked a few other threads about titles into this..................I have given up trying to keep this information within easy reach.......................

You can check the national vehicle registry viahttps://www.vehiclehistory.gov/nmvtis_vehiclehistory.html
That site links to several companies that provide the data.
I’ve used this one:http://www.titlecheck.us
If the bike isn’t in the database, then its been a long time since it was last titled.
If its there, they charge $4.95 for the info that includes the state+date where it was last titled.

You can also check the national insurance company database of stolen vehicles here:https://www.nicb.org/theft_and_fraud_awareness/vincheck/

If you don’t find a problem, then an option would be to register the bike/frame in Vermont.
You would need a Bill of Sale & can do the entire process via the mail.
Let us know if you decide to do this, and I’ll provide more info.

Take Skull's advise and read up on titles. Vermont is the answer, I'm in Mass and have gotten 3 bikes registered in VT, and then was able to reg, and get titles in Mass. Easy peasy. tim

Hey Littlebill--- I have a 1971 PA title if you are interested. tim

The insurance company registry is useless. It only shows stolen bikes that have been paid out by the insurance. The bike that was stolen from me does not show up there because I didn't have full coverage - so no pay out, so no record.

IMG_0774.JPG
This company is legit, used them a few years ago(2011-2012) to title a CB, as long as you file everything correctly it's a cake walk

Check local DMV. Often the DMV runs a stolen check. If not stolen they issue a bond and title. At some point the bond expires and you get a permanent title. It may vary by state but that the rough outline.

Good luck!

If this helps: yamaha vin s650-100618
Hi cloudbreakmd,
comparing that ID to Skull's chart, your untitled bargain frame is from a '71/'72 XS-2.
I doubt that anyone still has a record of a 45 year old bike's frame number and possession is nine points of the law, eh?.
What do you hope to do with it?

Back