Friends Im stuck, befuddled and fed up...(ok not really)

HOTEL71

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
81 xs 650
need carbs re-jetted
most local mechanics are Harley only
Local Yamaha dealers are overwhelmed with can am issues
and (get this) 2 dealers have a policy on bikes over 10yrs old

so if your in the south jersey area and wanna make some money
or know someone

please by all means let me know?

Thank you!!

ps--bike was jetted for straight pipes
Bike got hot
I installed slip ons
runs better but running Fat?
(mechanic said this smell is from excess gas
not being all the way burnt now that you are no longer running just straight pipes)
so everyone agrees I need a re-jet
BUT I cant get anyone to do it

(get this) 2 dealers have a policy on bikes over 10yrs old

Yeah that was kinda surprising huh? Most dealerships don’t mess with older bikes. I remember when I bought my old Triumph and I bopped on down to the Triumph dealership to order some parts and the counter guys laughed me out of the place. :laugh2:
You might be able to find some independent mechanics that will work on older bikes but be prepared to open your wallet up wide.
90A7BFD9-BC54-43BA-BFA2-1315C299592E.jpeg
Owning vintage motorcycles really requires a desire to learn how to do your own work, they always need something. You can always find someone else to do it but you will soon wind up with a motorcycle that you’ve sunk far more money into than it’s worth. I’m not trying to discourage you, quite the opposite, I’m encouraging you to expand your abilities, there’s tons of info available here. :thumbsup:

Got a buddy in Rochester that just opened a bike shop. He owns a couple of XS'. I know that's not super close, but PM me if you want and I'll give you his phone #.

most local mechanics are Harley only
Local Yamaha dealers are overwhelmed with can am issues
and (get this) 2 dealers have a policy on bikes over 10yrs old

There is a cottage industry of technical wizards who make a living wrenching on old bikes. The trick is finding them. Start with local vintage motorcycle guys or clubs. Do you have cruise night? Somebody knows where the help is. You need to find it.

There is a cottage industry of technical wizards who make a living wrenching on old bikes. The trick is finding them. Start with local vintage motorcycle guys or clubs. Do you have cruise night? Somebody knows where the help is. You need to find it.

Swap meets are also a great place to meet guys that know old bikes. Being in the NJ area they may not have many. Meeting these guys is a godsend, especially if they are willing to help. Take the help but also learn from them on how to do things. Wrenching on cars and bikes isn't all that difficult, often the hardest part is talking yourself into trying it.

Maybe contact the VJMC of North America. They have meets and shows all over the place and their website lists their field representatives - perhaps someone close by. When I've found these guys at shows they have been very approachable. Membership $$ seems reasonable and will probably pay for itself. Good luck.

There are reasons why dealerships won't work on old machines. One is parts availability. You can't expect a dealership shop to research all the aftermarket repop sources for items that the factory no longer makes. Second is that fact that dealership shop charges are based on the factory flat rate book. A 1981 rate is invalid in terms of 2021 dollars, and old machinery has more often than not suffered abuse that presents problems that haven't been factored into flat rates anyway.

Bottom line: If you're going to keep that bike and keep it running, you'll have to DIY or get real lucky finding a competent independent wrench, in which case you'll need deep pockets. The tuning job for your carbies isn't much of a challenge. Go to www.amckayltd.com/carbguide.pdf , read all of it, identify your carb set, look up the stock jetting, obtain and install same. If you're using pod filters, also buy a pair of pilots jets one step larger than stock and pairs of main jets one size and two sizes up from stock. If possible use the OE air box. If you must use pod filters make sure they're Uni foam type. Also do a few searches here and read what's worked for others and what hasn't. In any case OE jetting will give you a baseline that's close to what you'll need and it should be easy to tune from there. If you want to avoid trouble, use genuine Mikuni jets. A good source is Niche Cycle Supply; their prices are as good as you'll find and they ship promptly.

if nothing works out, look for a motorcycle junkyard nearby and somebody there will know how to work on old bikes, or know somebody. in austin there was a weekend motorcycle repair co-op where people could go to learn for free. if you see somebody riding a vintage bike, ask him where he gets it worked on. i agree old bikes mean working on bikes. something constantly pops up.

Back