Front fork problem... Help!

leonardsxs650

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I recently finished my '80 xs650 bobber build and took the ol girl for a test ride. All was well until I applied the front brake and noticed it would jerk the handlebars a little as soon as the pads hit the rotor. Also, while making a slow speed turn, the front would shake vigorously, or the bike would barely move. I knew that the brake was binding, but couldn't seem to pinpoint exactly what was wrong. I tinkered with it for a while and became a little frustrated, so I brought it to a repair shop to see if they knew what the problem was. Apparently, the front forks I have aren't the stock forks. The guy told me he thinks they might be off of a virago, but no idea as to what year.

Where the problem lies is with the axle diameter. Apparently the axle fits the forks just fine, but with the stock xs hub, there is a little play which would cause the problem I experienced while braking/turning.

I guess I'm looking to find out possible ideas/remedies to this problem. I'd like to exhaust all options before buying another set of forks, as I've already rebuilt the set that's on it now. Any input you guys have it greatly appreciated!

You should be able to change the wheel bearings to fit the axle. But they are hard to find in the size you need. The only bearings I can find in that size are for Mitsubishi alternators. Size 15x47x14.
http://www.smithcoelectric.com/servlet/the-238/B15-dsh-86D-S5930R63070-GEE316-A69432S/Detail
I guess another option is to bore the forks to 17mm like dusty said, or get new forks.

If the wheel bearing ID is smaller than the hole in the slider ID I'd get the axel that fits the bearing and lathe the ends to fit the slider rather than bore the slider

Back