Front hub swaps for an 83 650 special

Scott Halbleib

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I have a Special w/ a 64 spoke hub and was wondering if there's a direct replacement with say 48 spokes to match the number of spokes on the rear hub?

No. The only direct replacements are 36 spoke front hubs, XS650B and forward. If you want matching spoke count, you can replace the rear with a 36 spoke hub as well--also a bolt-on replacement for your 48 spoke Heritage drum hub.

Thanks a bunch! So the XS650B (certain year?) rear drum would be a 36 spoke direct replacement as well? Would I need to replace the drum brake as well? Thanks again

Yes, the B (75) hub would fit, your brake plate, etc. would fit the drum. Some years had a brake lining wear indicator switch and dash light in the brake plate, some did not, but that has nothing to do with the hub.

I have a Special w/ a 64 spoke hub and was wondering if there's a direct replacement with say 48 spokes to match the number of spokes on the rear hub?

Hi Scott and welcome,
there ain't no 48 spoke XS650 front wheels.
All post '73 disk brake XS650/750/850/1100 front wheels will fit your forks.
Pre '77 fronts will need to have the '77 & newer one-piece brake disk installed because the earlier two-piece disk don't align with the later brake caliper.
All XS650 drum brake rear wheels will swap into any year XS650 Standard or Special.
XS650 disk brake rears will swap into drum brake frames too (and vice-versa) but that takes extra effort.
So pick the wheels you fancy and go for it.

Your multispoke wheels came from the factory with a higher spoke count on the front than the rear.
Many members would swap you for their set of mags and grin all the way home; others think the high count spoke wheels are weird and unattractive.
Be aware that both these rims and the rain catcher Standard rims are increasingly less commonly found "in the wild".
Why not add a couple pictures of your bike, it is always good to see what other members are working on.

Thanks for the input fellas!

Attachments

• CONCEPT.jpg
    CONCEPT.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 158
Thanks for the picture - looks like the bike has had some well planned attention - really like the tank, they are hard to mount with the narrow tunnel. Welcome to the site!

Oh, I like that swingarm bracing. Got any detail pics for that? Did you do it or did it come that way?

A note on swapping out the rear drum brake rims......
You can put the 18" rims on Specials all day long with no issues, however, IF you have a Standard and want to run the Specials 16 inchers, mags or spokes, you'll have to swap out the chain guard and the rear brake stay arm from a Special as the guard and arm are 'notched' for the wider tire.

Back