funny numbers on frame

crazyazsredneck

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
helppppppppp please my bike as a replacement vin number on it. ok so here in ms we dont do this , the original neck numbers and the engine numbers are the same. but different than the replacement number. so which ones should the dmv look up all i got was a bill of sale. its a 1981 650 . are the original numbers the serial and not a vin ??????

what are the numbers both engine and frame? That will help us decipher what you are asking. Or look here;
http://www.xs650.org.au/general%20info.HTM
It's down the page aways.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Model[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Serial Number[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Year[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Colour(s)[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]XS1[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]S650-000101[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]1970[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Candy Green[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]
XS1B
[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]S650-007101[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]1971[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Candy Orange[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]
XS2
[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]S650-100101[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]1972[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Brilliant Red[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]
TX650
[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]S650-200101[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]1973[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Metallic Flake Blue, Pearl Yellow Gold[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]
TX650A
[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]447-000101[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]1974[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Cinnamon Brown, Vegas Green[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]XS650B[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]447-100101[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]1975[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Star Black, Baja Brown[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]
XS650C
[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]447-200101[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]1976[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]French Blue/Red[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]XS650D[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]447-700101[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]1977[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Maxi Maroon, Bountiful Blue[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]XS650E[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]2F0-000101[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]1978[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Star Black, Spruce Metallic Green[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]XS650SE[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]2F0-100101[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]1978[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Vintage Burgandy, New Midnight Black[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]XS650F[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]2F0-150101[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]1979[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Cobalt Blue[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]
XS650SF
[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]447-910101 (Aus) 2F0-250101[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica] 1979[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Carmine Red, Black Gold[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]XS6502F[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]4F0-250101[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]1979[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]New Yamaha Black[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]
XS650G
[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]3G0-000101[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]1980[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Black Gold[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]XS650SG[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]3W6 (Aus.) 2F0-200101[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica] 1980[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Cardinal Red, New Yamaha Black[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]XS650H[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]4N9-000101[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]1981[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Indigo Blue, New Ruby Red[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]XS650SH[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]5A9 (Aus.) 4M4-000101[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica] 1981[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]New Yamaha Black, Frost Silver[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]
XS650J
[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]5V4-000101[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]1982[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]New Yamaha Black[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]
XS650SJ
[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]5V4-100101[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]1982[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]New Yamaha Black, New Ruby Red[/FONT]

Last edited:
A replacement vin? Does that mean a new number was stamped into the frame?
I think in some states if there is no title they issue a new number and stamp it into the frame. I would take the paper work and bike to your DMV and ask.
On your neck if it still has all the stock stuff. It should have a 9 digit number stamped into the head. This number should match the engine number. If it don't then don't worry too much about it, the frame number is the one they use.
It should have a white sticker on the head. This sticker has a 17 digit number that has the 9 digit number incorporated into it.
On my 82 the 17 digit sticker number is JYA5V4008CA004905, the 9 digit frame and engine number is 5V4004905. You can see that the 9 digit number is part of the 17 digit number. Here in New York they use the 9 digit number.
You here a lot about the cops giving peopl a hard time about mismatching numbers. Most of those thing are about Harleys. They are popular enough to where bikes get stolen and the parts sold off. So mismatched numbers can be a sign of stolen bikes or parts.
I don't think our old 650's fit the profile too well.
So ask at the DMV. They should have the answer.

On '81 and newer bike's, the vin is 17 digits, and then the trouble starts. With the 17 digit vin, most states required that the vehicle be titled, so a lost title search is probably the first order of business. You stated that the DMV issued a replacement VIN number? Is that the same state your trying to register the bike in now? If so, go with the replacement VIN issued by the DMV. Your state should have a web site, which of course will answer that question.
Here, if the bike is '80 or older, a title is NOT required, just a bill of sale, preferably on the DMV issued bill of sale. Also, an old registration would be helpfull.

the serial number is 4n9-016848. yes the motor and fram number do match. the vin is 17 didgits but its a metal sticker over the orginal numbers.all i got is a bill of sale .it came from another state . supposley in ms 25 years is a antique and a bill of sale is all u need . ill find out tomorrow when i go to the dmv

That is probably the best solution, and hopefully it isn't stolen. I would give up the PO if it does turn that way, in a heartbeat. The chance's of that are really slim, as a previous state has assigned another VIN to it.

That Plate if correct is a RE-CONN plate was use in the 60's 70' and most states stopped it in the 80's They use to issue them when you did not have a title for a bike. Back then you could not check that far back on titles. I had a bunch of them on HARLEY'S TRIUMPH in the 70's They were great two rivits and pop you can stick them on more than one bike and that's why they did away with them. Stolen bike put plate on and you got a legal bike. Most states go by what is stamped into frame. If you have problem you can get title threw INTERNATIONAL TITLE for $210.00 but have to get frame VIN checked and signed by DMV or POLICE to make sure its not stolen. I do them all the time just some paper work.

pretty sure its not stole but u never know ,dude was up front bout what it need
to get it running . i just dont want to go to the hassel of inspecting it here . i was told its a pain. and its no blinkers bike, do-rag front fender hahaha.but thanks i was told bout the title co.

Back