Generator/stator query ?

harley metisse

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi all, a quick question - is there any actual difference in the standard generator and stator set up from the points ignition xs's and the electronic ignition bikes ?
Cheers

Yes. EI stator and rotor have a pickup and magnet respectively. Backwards compatible but not forwards

P.S. May be some minor wiring difference on stator between EI and pre-. Can be worked around.

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick reply - but can you explain ?
Am I correct in thinking a set-up from a newer XS, for instance from a 1982/83 version would fit on a 1977 bike and work OK ?
How would I tell the difference from looking at them when they are on the workshop bench ?

Yes, the newer ones will work fine on an older bike. The stator has a sensor and extra connector on it. The rotor has a magnet embedded into it. Use the search box and you'll find pics showing the difference.

early stator brushes.jpg
late stator.jpg

Yeah... forgot about the brushes... thanks Gary. If you go with an 80 or newer stator, you'll need to use the 80 or newer regulator/rectifier. That or use the older style brush block with the older style reg/rec.

Last edited:
Green arrow points to the TCI timing sensor on 80 and newer.

late stator.jpg

If you go with an 80 or newer stator, you'll need to use the 80 or newer regulator/rectifier. That or use the older style brush block with the older style reg/rec.
I don't think so. With the EI stator you're starting with both brushes isolated. If you need one grounded to the frame, just run a little jumper from the brush screw to the the block mounting screw. That alone should let you use a new stator with an old harness. That's the workaround I mentioned.

I don't think so. With the EI stator you're starting with both brushes isolated. If you need one grounded to the frame, just run a little jumper from the brush screw to the the block mounting screw. That alone should let you use a new stator with an old harness. That's the workaround I mentioned.
True, but he could get rid of the old mechanical regulator if he installed the newer one.

Ha, Ha now your getting into the confusing part........

Xj wouldn't it be easier if you posted the fix first instead of alluding to it.............makes for more posts i guess

Ha, Ha now your getting into the confusing part........

Xj wouldn't it be easier if you posted the fix first instead of alluding to it.............makes for more posts i guess
Easier for you, not for me :)

P.S. I would post a fix if it was asked for, and I knew what it was. Although I'd probably be beaten to it.

Back