Gggary's carburetor mod

Mailman

Hardly a Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I was reading the thread on sump filters and Ggggary posted a picture of the little thumbwheel he added to his idle circuit so he could fast idle his engine on warm up.

IMG_3650.JPG

It reminded me, of the setup that Triumph had for the old Bonnevilles, they had , built in to the throttle cable, a little metal sleeve with a screw adjust collar that you could quickly turn with your fingers, it was up by the handlebars, and you could step up your idle just to warm up the engine. It was very clever.

IMG_3651.JPG

So Ggggary, do you remember where you got that little thumbwheel, or has anyone seen a throttle cable like that for our bikes?

You can get the same result by forcing a short piece of rubber tubing over the head of the adjustment screw - it give enough "grip" to adjust the screw. I did that on my BS34s before converting to CVKs. Not an elegant solution, but workable.

This one is $1.80 cheaper and there are six available if someone else wants one.
This will not work with BS CV34's use Toms tip for those.

This one is $1.80 cheaper and there are six available if someone else wants one.
This will not work with BS CV34's use Toms tip for those.

Oh man! I ordered one of these last night, they had six available. I looked this morning and they are all gone! Looks like a few people saw your post. Haha
IMG_3656.JPG

yup swiped from a TX750 carb! I may try epoxying a tab into the stck screw slot. the fuel line fix kinda works but is not really enough with gloves on. The 83 BS34's with handlebar choke are sweet. Keep thinking about fast idle ideas for BS38 but have never come up with a slick fix.

gggGary I have thought maybe a small button rivet placed in front of the "hump" might offer a two stage setting between full on full off. (38's)
But thunk bout it is all I've done.

Last edited:
I like that. Could be a nice little lathe project. Knurl some brass, hole to press-fit size, cut off a couple discs, press fit them onto the idle screw heads.

Or, drill out a couple tire pump adapters, separate and press on the disc.
TirePumpAdapter.jpg

Got my TX750 idle screw today! Looks to be in really nice condition. Can't wait to install it! Maybe someday I'll get my bike running and get to try it out! Haha!

Before I learned the plastic valve cap trick I had a couple of different thickness's of steel tabs on my key ring.
Slip the key off the ring, put in switch. Put thicker tab between screw and arm, as it warms and revs increase I swap the thick for thin to keep idle ok.
Once warm enough to idle with out tabs I then rode.
I like the knurled nut type screw deal, I'll try to find some for my bikes.
If I can find the right size knurled rings I can drill and epoxy on the stock screw.
Leo

I actually came close to machining a knurled nut and silver-soldering it onto my idle adjust screw - but those TX750 parts are just right and when I read this thread and saw them on eBay, I bought a couple myself. The idle on my '76 seems seems to wander up and down just a little and I have often wanted to be able to reach down and tweak it up or down just a tad - particularly in traffic where an engine stall would be...inconvenient.

Ahh I was wondering who snatched up all those screws! Haha now I know who got at least a couple of them.

Back