Going rate for 79' engine, frame, forks, misc.. With title.

Jpwhit1

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought a donor bike a few weeks ago, I've finished and and now have said items left over. Odometer shows 26k, engine has compression. Looks like previous owner was having some electrical issues. Side cover is included, just took it off to remove clutch cable. Again, has a title. Ball park on value guys?

Thanks!
0e0eaf8a0d1b4bbfd1e8aa6b4d86d72a_zpsdkwjw9ot.jpg

its actually in decent shape. Straight frame? Clean title? 1k. Im not buying though.Its just what I would pay. But if you try to peddle that to someone that doesn't know xs's, You wont get a dime.

I'd say somewhere south of 1k.

I've had a titled low mileage, very clean, perfectly running '79 special listed here at $1500 for several weeks with nary an inquiry.
New rubber on it and I'd ride it anywhere.

That bike complete,titled and running would sell for what? US$1500 these days?
Seeing as half of it's missing and you can't hear the motor run; I'd go US$500 if I wanted it.

Papered frame, unknown motor and some forks. $350.
You would need another $600 in parts to have a rideable bike.

I think with the unknown and missing parts, I would go $300...working engine: $500 but that would be the highest...considering there are a lot of parts to track down...wheels/electrical being the biggest expense I would think.

East coast seems to have less bikes and the prices there reflect that.

Titled frame; some are advertised for $300 so $250-$300.

Front forks; 78 and later forks are adjustable, probably the best of the 35mm. If the tubes are good, (no pitting and straight), $80-$100. New tubes are going to cost $140+freight

Triple trees; Not damaged, $40-$80

Motor; Good compression, (135psi and above). If the Charging system works then the price can reflect that. $250-$400.

A lot of people are looking for spare parts, especially when they find they can't get a title for a project already bought and built, upgrading to 35mm forks and having an engine with the advance rod is more desirable. Parting it out and a little time testing will get you a lot more than no testing and complete as it is.

I am going off parts prices that have been advertised through here. Prices are going up all the time so some prices i quoted could be less than the market price.

Last edited:
Well, based on your input I'm asking 500.00 for what's there. I've had 3 hits from xs.com classifieds, all want me to separate engine and ship for 400.00 or cheaper. I'll put it on Craigslist and see what happens. Thanks for your help fellas! Have a great weekend!

Back