Green Grandad resurrection

AndersJ

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
F50E46BC-CF58-41B3-8E5A-E157A6351913.jpeg

Well, a pipe broke in my basement, and my workshop was bathed in sewage BUT I found a numbers matching xs1 the next day. I’ll call it a karmic wash. Will use this as my resurrection thread (I won’t call it a restoration because I don’t want anyone to get their hopes up!)
Stay tuned for many questions, you know who you are 😂

Awesome find! Looks very complete and correct.
A good couple hours of cleaning and polishing and the gem will begin to emerge from that old stone.
With all original paint, survivor style may be your best path forward. :thumbsup:

I don't want to set anything in stone but my current plan is the best bath this bike has seen in 50 years and then do the usual systematic repairs front to back checking for any cancer. More than anything I want to get it back on the road and start putting some miles on it. Compression test in the morning. Crossing my fingers the tank doesn't leak and I can just fill it with gas when the time comes and not worry about brazing or lining, and the inevitable repainting. Would love to keep the painted bits as are. Front forks appear chromed which is fun. No flathead slot in the clutch adjuster. Is that strange?

Sorry about your stinky basement! o_O But congratulations on finding your new project. I’m eagerly anticipating your early bike refresh!
View attachment 236334

Remember….photos man, photos! 😁
Contemplating a better camera just to make this thread worthwhile. The one on my phone is pretty underwhelming.

Is yamahaxs650.com going out of business?
Pretty sure that was just about getting rid of stock that Mike got saddled with from a failed deal. Check the in stock positions they do nothing but dwindle. I got a notice that XS650direct restocked XS1 front stainless spokes I prolly need to add a couple sets to my stocks.

Last edited:
Back