Hardtail spacer for rear wheel

Jonaven

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
No idea what I should even call it, bur my hardtail just slides all around the axle and not sure how I should go about fixing it, I was gonna just make some spacer that is slightly bigger thsn the gap so I can actually tighten the wheel up any suggestions would be great
20220726_172209.jpg

The axle plate is thinner than the stock swingarm that those adjusters are designed for. Both sides will be that way. Spacer thickness should result in good alignment of both sprockets. Use steel 20mm ID, more than 30mm OD.

There are other ways, depending on how involved ya wanna get. Unsafe at the moment.

BTW, your chain is on the wrong side or the pic is reversed. lol.

The axle plate is thinner than the stock swingarm that those adjusters are designed for. Both sides will be that way. Spacer thickness should result in good alignment of both sprockets. Use steel 20mm ID, more than 30mm OD.

There are other ways, depending on how involved ya wanna get. Unsafe at the moment.

pics reversed ,because my back camera is broken on my phone so i took it with the front , yea i totally forgot and took it around the block and felt the rear tire slop all around lol(luck was on my side)

wondering what you mean by 20mm ID / 30mm OD

The inside & outside diameter of the tubing stock you need to make spacers. I imagine you'll need spacers between each side of the hub. You'll want to take-up all the gap (no more than .5mm clearance) between hub w/spacers and axle plates and have the rear sprocket aligned with front sprocket - quite a project. Then you need to address the chain adjusters. At a minimum, they need spacers to close their width to the axle plate thickness. Or, use other style chain adjusters.

Not necessarily the "best" solution, but you could stack washers on either side of the frame plate (using the ID/OD specs above). It would be safer to slightly stretch out the axle adjuster than pinch it in.

I would be inclined to get everything lined up where it fits best, then use calipers to measure the thickness needed on either side and cut some spacers out of the appropriate gauge steel plate. The ID needs to fit the axle (use a drill press), but the OD doesn't have to be "perfect". There won't be any rotating mass, so it should still be safe if it isn't perfectly round.

Not necessarily the "best" solution, but you could stack washers on either side of the frame plate (using the ID/OD specs above). It would be safer to slightly stretch out the axle adjuster than pinch it in.

I would be inclined to get everything lined up where it fits best, then use calipers to measure the thickness needed on either side and cut some spacers out of the appropriate gauge steel plate. The ID needs to fit the axle (use a drill press), but the OD doesn't have to be "perfect". There won't be any rotating mass, so it should still be safe if it isn't perfectly round.
I agree with using washers as a temporary mock-up to design eventual spacers and the spacer stock being plate (with some fab as described). The chain adjusters, however shouldn't be stretched nor (for sure) pinched as they will cause binding if not square and forever prevent proper torquing. There are a whole range of axle adjusters, including some old OEM (perhaps old Honda) that will fit the plates better, just drill out to fit axle. We're in the "TLAR" school of engineering here....be careful.

Jonaven - do some research on your wheel bearing OD's. If you can find bearings with your OD and a 3/4" ID or 25mm ID (even 22mm) it opens a whole new world of Harley aftermarket axle/spacer/adjuster off-the-shelf stuff - makes life easier.

Last edited:
Back