Headlight won't work.

Jim May

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've removed the headlight safety unit and jumped the blue/black with the blue/yellow. I've got 12v at idle to the jumped wires and 14v off idle so I assume that the twin relays are functioning. (The starter does not engage when the bike is running.) I've done continuity to both low and high beams in the light. The instruments lights are on and so are the tail lights. The bike is a 1980 XS650 SG bot the Clymer's wiring diagram does not agree with what I've got. Difference is the diagram calls for a blue/green wire and I have a blue wire. What should I be doing next? As in the past, thanks. I would have pushed this bike into the Kennebec River had it not been for all the help I've received on this Forum.

Did the light work before you removed the safety relay? If so, why did you remove it? You may need the SG factory manual. I have seen errors in the Clymer books.

Did the light work before you removed the safety relay? If so, why did you remove it? You may need the SG factory manual. I have seen errors in the Clymer books.
The headlight worked intermittently and then stopped completely. That is what set me on the path I'm on. I've checked the relay, as I stated and jumped the Blue/Black to Blue/Yellow as instructed in a post I found on this Forum. Sorry, the person's name is on the printed copy in the shop. My thought is that power is not going forward to the light switch but the diagram isn't giving me enough information to determine the color code for the power delivery wire. Also, the High Beam indicator, blue light in the tach face, comes on and stays on no matter which position the headlight switch is in. Thanks for the reply. You are most correct regarding Clymer manuals. If I followed their instructions when I was attempting to rebuild the forks, I'd still be trying the get the lowers from the uppers.

Problem solved. After finding no reason why the headlight wouldn't work I removed it and found I had power to both sides of the Low and High beams at the plug in. I plugged the headlight in and it worked! I put it back into the nacelle and it didn't work and the High Beam indicator lamp came on. I removed the headlight from the nacelle and it worked. Well, until I started to move it around and then I found the short. It was in one of the multiple ground connectors. A 22 cal brush brightened up the brass, I tightened up the female ends, put some electric grease on the male ends and the problem is solved. Thanks to all who contributed. Note to anyone who comes up with a similar problem.. If the High Beam indicator stays on, there's a short ion the ground side.

Back