Headlights!! pictures please!!

Bates 5 3/4 with 12v Halogen (H4 bulb), ears from MikesXS.

2013-01-26_14-00-33_676_zpsd427d47d.jpg

I used an old yellow fog light, 6v. What I did was swap the socket, bulb, and wiring from a "new" style headlight. Took a little massaging to make it fit right, but it works great!!

Yup - they're automotive fog lamps - just fine. Just dismantled it for the first time since 1961. It's sealed up tight, so there was some fine 1960 air in there :)

Clean as a whistle inside. GE bulb Made in USA. No wattage indicated on the bulb anywhere, and interestingly, labelled 13v. The transformer spits 12v out so all is fine.

Interesting combination of gaskets etc. to keep things water tight. The louvres are steel and keep the bulb in place, so they stay.

Going to mount very easily with a tiny L bracket mounted to the lower XS tree. The 2 6mm bungs for the old hydraulic line holders / brake light switch or whatever is normally bolted to the bottom tree of the XS should hold it well enough.

Im such an antique whore too...anything awesome and old. I fixed up an old Devillbiss air compressor and i just love it. Looking for some old gas cans next,

i've been scouring the scrap yards - and keep coming across old 6V tractor lamps. finally found one with the right color and "patina". presently disassembled and am retro-fitting a 12V #9003 hi/lo bulb. next issue is to try and swap out the glass lens for one with a less expansive beam throw.

circa '62 Allis Chalmers. 4 1/2"; originally 6V; lamp and socket gutted; fabbed a mount for a 12V #9003 55/35watt halogen bulb; used a shaved storm door bottom sweep as a gasket. originally scored a pair of these and discovered one lens labled "driving" and the other "utility". i topped it off with a "rock guard", 'cause i havta deal with dirt roads getting in and out.

Attachments

• tractor 4.jpg
    tractor 4.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 148
  • tractor 3.jpg
    tractor 3.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 173
Nice find hammer

This is what I was going to use, I might still. It just looks too big to me on the bike though.
It's the stock headlight painted and un-chromed

Didn't think to post that when I started this thread...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    254 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:
circa '62 Allis Chalmers. 4 1/2"; originally 6V; lamp and socket gutted; fabbed a mount for a 12V #9003 55/35watt halogen bulb; used a shaved storm door bottom sweep as a gasket. originally scored a pair of these and discovered one lens labled "driving" and the other "utility". i topped it off with a "rock guard", 'cause i havta deal with dirt roads getting in and out.

That is a very nice retrofit. How did you make the "rock guard"?:thumbsup:

is that a pitch fork rock guard

Listen, I know that it's tempting to buy some $50 repop fake bates light but DONT! take your time and find something Vintage and unique! Per-lux, Aris, Unity, Pioneer, Electrolux... and tons others

As for converting them, you can do it a few different ways. Most popular is to drill out the sealed bulb and insert a car headlight bulb. then seal it up with silicone or gasket sealer. OR you can buy an 1157 LED buld and put that in there. They're hella bright and very reliable and cost about $4. You just have to solder on new wires.

photo1_zpsc3a124a5.jpg

My cb750

20130113_153042_zps7b08d994.jpg

My light, supposedly from an old Studebaker. Frenched into a custom numberplate thingy I made:

DSCN2367_zpsf0044ed4.jpg

Doesn't put out light for crap though :) Don't ride this bike at night, it's not much fun.

That is a very nice retrofit. How did you make the "rock guard"?:thumbsup:

walked out to the burn barrel and swiped my fire stirring tool. broke it down to the essentials and then wailed on it with a hammer and torch.

looks a little scary, but it matches my grappling hook license plate holder.

I am an insufferable researcher before I buy anything. I knew I wanted to go smaller than stock and liked the retro look. I found this at Dime City Cycles, PN 68-8021 for under $50. It is a Bates style bottom mount 5 3/4" in black. I fabricated a simple mount and powder coated it to match and I really like the scale of the result.

Attachments

• LimpyLight1.jpg
    LimpyLight1.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 165
  • LimpyLight2.jpg
    LimpyLight2.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 165
What is a good size for a round headlight?

I think after seeing all the pictures on this thread, my personal preference is 5 3/4 inches. It's not to big and not to small I really like the look of jdizon's in that Harley fairing. I want one :cool:

Back