heavier bendix spring......new....

oldbiker

oldbiker
Reaction score
hi guys,,, with cash a tiny bit tight,,, i,ve been told that yamaha did make a 79 and later heavier and stronger bendix spring for 4th gear,,, i did get a new spring from an ebay seller in usa ... but it did not say what year it was ... only the yamaha part no.. which is common for the starter clip....4th gear spring... would anybody know a dealer that would have a later year spring to replace my old spring ... i know that mikes sell the kit but if i can do it cheaper ,,,great regards oldbiker

Actually, the stronger drag clip for the #4 gear was implemented in '76. If the small loop on your current drag clip won't fit in the original nook in the case then you already have the new part .....

StarterClipPositions.jpg

The clip included in the MikesXS kit has been reported to be too weak so you're better off just re-using your original if it's the new type. Just re-bend it tighter again following the instructions here .....

http://650wiki.org/index.php/12.08._Electric_start_problem_fix

hi guys ,,,which part do you clamp in a vice and close ..is it the leg section or the circular halves you gently clamp together a tad...regards oldbiker

THe lowermost part, where the arrow is pointing in 5twins pic. On a Virago you can put a small hose clamp on it and leave it there. Don't know if there's room for that on an xs. It's also reported that you can just squeeze it good there with pliers and not have to remove it or the clutch (xsjohn).

Back