Helmet for the xs650

I have an Arai head. So, I’ll be buying one sooner than later. Buying a helmet that fits properly is pretty much all I can do.
5 years ago I got my bell rung in a motorcycle accident, as in unconscious. I think about that.

I have an Arai head. So, I’ll be buying one sooner than later. Buying a helmet that fits properly is pretty much all I can do.
5 years ago I got my bell rung in a motorcycle accident, as in unconscious. I think about that.

Back when I was a teenager riding my XT500 down a rural road, I had my first and only crash on the street ( hit a dog of all things ) , anyways that was back in the 70’s , when my only protective gear was an open face Bell helmet ( with a little visor so I looked like Malcom Smith :D )
What impressed me though was later, looking at my helmet, it had a chunk gouged out of it, right above my forehead. I never felt a thing. I had road rash elsewhere, but no head injury. That always stuck with me.

For good or bad; if I didn't wear a helmet I wouldn't be alive now.
ANY helmet is better than no helmet.
I'm fully in the full helmet camp.
I suspect the "standards" have reduced innovation and left us worse off than if no standards were in place.
Snell is prolly a perfect example of a organization that mainly supports............ ITSELF.
Helmet makers have to pay LARGE fee's to get tested. IIRC some makers purposely avoid the Euro fee structure.
Have a no helmet friend that ground off a fair amount of his facial features when his bike was hit on a wet road.

I've had a white HJC for the past 3 years and while it works fine, its the 3/4 style with a face shield and I've come to the conclusion that I'd prefer to be in a full face. Its a bit tricky in that a helmet is obviously important, but cost is a realistic factor, too. I can't say I care much for most of the modern looking helmets, and I think people who primarily ride classic bikes would agree that the look doesn't seem right
Full face helmets from the era look strange today, maybe funny. But HJC has a good-looking full face (modular) that is supposed to evoke retro. Maybe only available in black though, not good. Maybe anything you find from them with the V- prefix is retro
https://www.hjchelmets.us/product/v90/

IMG_0029.JPG I picked up this old Jeb's from my neighbor/friends estate clean-out. He should have been wearing it the last time he rode, for we'd still have him instead of just his helmet.
Hoping for good ju ju in using it.

Back