Help! How do I Wire a Four Wire Turn Signal, Have No Idea How to Wire to and Ground!

equal_contrast

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hi

Been lurking for a long awhile and finally decided to create account and post as I'm currently struggling and haven't found a specific thread that could answer my questions. Thanks in advance for any questions

I am having trouble with my rear turn signals. I removed the OEM turn signals and purchased some Bike Master signals. The problem is....These have four wires. Black, red, yellow and grey. The originals did not have this many and the color codes were different.

I also purchased some diodes because I wanted rear running lights. From what I've been reading and looking at some of the diagrams, that is the way I want to go. If there is an easier way without diodes please let me know.

My questions, which wires are which (ground power etc) and how do it go about wiring this the right way. The wires coming from the fuse box have those little circular rings that were placed on the inside part of the signal mount (inside part of frame), do i cut these off and solder to one end of the diode and which color would i solder to the other end of the diode? Do i need to use all four wires?

I am not electrical savvy and i'm getting extremely frustrated at this point. Please help me!

4 wires? Are they LED's by chance?

Typically I've seen two and three wire signals...which is pretty common and straight forward, but some signals that are LED with more wires I've seen have a different color option when lit up... For example, I have an LED brake light that has Red and orange as a color option...I'm guessing to be use as a hazard light. Or perhaps your signals can be either red or orange/yellow depending on front/back?

If it didn't come with a wire diagram...you could do a search on the web for your light's wiring diagram. Or test (multimeter) each wire to see which is the negative, and which have continuity to each other... then test it out on a battery to see what color/options it does?

My guess is the following:
Black= Ground
Red= Positive (turn signal)
Yellow= Constant (running light)
Gray= alter. color? Or ???

If they are new they should have had directions.
I test all the ones I get because the last set I got YELLOW was ground and black was running lights.
Easy to test with battery and you won't burn them up. Try black first as ground on NEGITIVE on battery and touch each other wire on POSITIVE on battery
Have pen and paper and right down the colors

Without a picture or link we are guessing.
This is the product description for these similar(?) lights.

Turn signal, running light, and brake light all in one compact package
These are three (front) and four wire (rear) lights
The fronts have a 3-Watt LED for the super white running light and a 3-Watt amber LED for the turn signals
Running light (red) is 50% brightness and brake light (also red) is 100% brightness, along with the ultra bright amber turn signals make this the ultimate in putting it all in a small space
Note: These lights are not designed to substitute for the rear running and brake lights, but to augment them.

The link to them.
http://www.bikemaster.com/parts/lighting/mini-led-turn-signals-with-resistors.html

I saw bike bandit sells a four to 2 wire plug kit for each brand of bike. If led u still will need a led flasher relay two prong not three , use the brown wires. eBay sells this orange one with the flasher speed screw on it. It's plug and play . I tryed every relay at the auto store and no luck, the two prong works. Try taking the light apart and find the two wires u need .

Hey everyone thanks for all the quick the responses. Still trying to learn how to use this forum as a poster (made an edit not specifically directed at anyone's reply). I haven't been able to log on due to working long overnight shifts, sorry. Yes, they are LED (Bike Master sunrays multi function LED - T/S 9 SMD). Here is a link... http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/67299/i/bikemaster-sun-rays-multi-function-l-e-d--turn-signal.

After looking at the picture in the link, looks like I may have to connect them two and two so I'll have two sets of wires (no hardware now, just four loose wires). First time, but this is something good to learn anyways and how i learn best. Once I get it as seen in the link, I plan on using this diagram set i found here......View attachment 16851

They didn't come with any diagram for some reason, I will be working on this Friday afternoon as i'll be off work and have time. I'll have to play around later on and see what works...no idea at this point but hoping i'll get a positive conclusion or close to. I'll post an update tomorrow night.

In regards to relays, no disrespect, but I have no idea what that even means, I am a tech guy by trade and just getting into learning anything related to semiconductors. but if you think this will still work after seeing the link please let me know (@Motocue)

I'm still foggy about what (bike) you have to work with.
If it has bullet connectors I would simply add (2) splitter jumper wires using 4 way connectors for the running and brake lights. The ground and turn signal functions are already plumbed and should work as is(well maybe, the signals pigtail may be too short so you would need to add length). The ground(assuming blk) would go to grounds. The turn signal to the yellow led for turn signal. The dimmer of the two red led to the tail light (running light) and the brighter to the brake light.
The jumpers will need a male bullet connector on one end to plug into and the four way
( see pic)on the other for the original wire plus the two you are adding.

Attachments

• 4 way bullet connector.jpg
    4 way bullet connector.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 400
The stock flasher relay is what Motocue was talking about. The stock flasher is a three wire unit. it only works with 27 watt bulbs in the signals. It takes two 27 watt turns and one 3 watt indicator bulb to get the stock flasher to flash. Anything else and no flash.
With LED bulbs you need an LED compatable Flasher. Don't get any three prong flashers, get a two prong flasher. In the stock flasher socket are three wires, the ones you use are the brown and brown/white wires, any other just ignore.
Leo

Back