Help identifying new wheel bearings

Rlauchard

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hi, been out of the mix on working on my bike....just got the back wheel polished, and the drum brake hub polished. Now I need to buy some spokes and some wheel bearings to get the wheels finished. Looking for help on which set of All Ballz I need here. I don't know the year of the wheels, but here is what I know:

Rear wheel:
- 18 inch
- The rim is the H-type, or rain catcher
- The hub is a drum brake
I believe that this is the bearing kit that I need: http://www.allballsracing.com/25-1334.html

Front wheel:
- 19 inch
- The rim is the H-type, or rain catcher
- The brake is disc
I believe that this is the bearing kit that I need: http://www.allballsracing.com/25-1357.html

Can someone help me confirm this? Thanks so much.

Easier to get the numbers off the existing bearings and then go looking.

Just in case these are different, otherwise you could get the wrong kits.

Numbers like 6304 equals a bearing 20x52x15. If you have a metric caliper you can measure and cross reference.

20 = 20 mm center hole diameter or your axle size
52 = 52 mm outside diameter of bearing
15 = 15 mm thickness of bearing

Come with seals on both sides or one side in either metal or rubber.

Google either the size or number and you'll get descriptions to verify your findings.

A call to AllBalls and they will get you the individual bearings.

Your local bike shop will have accessory catalogs with bearings and can often supply them as well.

Go to the MikesXS site. They have a list of the bearing sizes at the top of the wheel bearing page. I rarely replace the grease seals, only if damaged. If you're careful about removing them, they can usually be re-used. My tool of choice for that is this mini pry bar. Working all around the seal with the hook end, lifting it little by little, will usually get them out undamaged.

MiniPryBar-1.jpg

Make sure you save the top hat shaped spacer/sleeve from the left rear bearing. It needs to be installed in the new bearing so it fits the axle and it also contributes to the spacing between the two rear bearings. So many guys throw that spacer out with the old bearing because they don't realize it's there. A cottage industry has sprung up making replacements (which are N.L.A. from Yamaha) but it will cost you like $25. However, nothing furthers one's education better than a good hit in the pocketbook, right? The spacer you must save and re-use is #20 below .....

RearWheelBearings.jpg

So, here's my bearings and sizes...and I can't find out the sizes on the allballs bearings...if anyone can help. I tried to contact allballs through their site, but to no avail.

Rear Wheel 1981 drum:
- 6304z
OD - 52 mm
ID - 20 mm
W - 15 mm

- 6305z
OD - 62 mm
ID - 25 mm
W - 17 mm

all balls kit? : http://www.allballsracing.com/25-1357.html

Front Wheel - TX 750 hub, no idea the year
- 6303ns
OD - 47 mm
ID - 17 mm
W - 14 mm

all balls kit? : http://www.allballsracing.com/25-1334.html

Can anyone out there confirm any of this?

Here you go, taken from the Motovan catalog.

Looks like 6303 used in front wheels and 6304 and 6305 in rear wheels for all.

Attachments

• XS650 Wheel Bearings.jpg
    XS650 Wheel Bearings.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 498
Last edited:
I guess I was expecting a one to one size comparison....how do I read those numbers to see which matches the bearings that came out?

The first 4 numbers are the bearing sizes, the rest is seal type.

2rs is probably rubber zeals

z possibly steal zeals.

Some have 2 seals thus (2rs) others sealed only on one side (z)

The confusion is the models other than XS650 in the list have other sizes.

Looks like you have regular Yamaha XS650 wheels.

I got mine for 78 and they had seals on both sides. Sweet.

Your issue now is to identify the seals that you removed, like #10 and #22 in the rear wheel and the 2 in the front wheel.

All balls kits are based on the seal size as well, some research will be needed to find the right set for your sizes. Again, measure or look at the old ones if available.

PS; I you are looking in the Motovan catalog I found it was easier to download it, takes time, and look in the pdf file rather than using the on-line view.

Second look and you may have to do what 5Twins says, use the old seals if you can't id the existing ones you have. The new bearing seals will be sufficient to keep dirt out. The outer seals fit against the wheel spacers and are not quite as crucial.

Some of these seals are probably still available from the dealer as well because they fit other models.

Last edited:
Mikes XS has seals as well. Guess all the info was right here. :banghead:

Do the same for the seals, measure OD (outside diameter), ID (inside diameter) and thickness and pick the ones closest to your measurements.

http://www.mikesxs.net/products-13.html#products

Then when you know what year your setup is you can order MikesXS individually or Allballs kits.

Lots of homework when your not the original owner because you never really know what was used.

I'm new at this and TOTALLY not quick. I re-read all the posts and am getting it now. Man...I am dumb. :banghead:

Brian, your earlier post said 'all bearings are the same measurement'...I didn't really understand that for some reason, makes sense today, not yesterday.

So, I've got the 6303, 6304 and 6305....and those, no matter who I get them from have the same measurements for OD, ID, and W.

I'm on it now....thanks so much Brian for your help.

Ryan

Get the "2RS" type bearings. They have a removable rubber seal on each side and are totally sealed. However, it's a simple matter to pop the seals out and check the grease content. I recommend you do that before installation. Although all the bearing makers claim their bearings are "lubed for life", some put very, very little grease in there. Pop the seals and have a look. I like to fill mine about half way, any more than that just oozes out when they get hot. So, if I find one low on grease, I add some to one side only.

Don't get the "Z" type bearings. They have a metal shield that can't be removed. That means you can never service them. In 5 years or so, you may want to check the grease content on your bearings again and add some more if need be.

Back