Help Identifying Wires

bdholsin

XS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Need some help identifying a couple wires on my '83 XS650. Looks like the PO cut and taped off a couple wires on the left side. This is just behind where the battery is located. One wire is black (guessing it is a ground) and the other is blue with a yellow stripe. Anyone have any idea where they were supposed to go or what they did? Here is a picture:
IMG_20101007_111807.jpg

from reserve lighting unit to turn signal control or side stand switch more likely as it is a blue/yellow and black double plug in connection

Thanks. Doesn't sound like I should be too alarmed that it is cut and taped off. I'd like to get it wired correctly but it'll have to wait a while.

it's a PITA and doesn't work right after wear tear and road grime just remember to put your sidestand up ... lord save us from the bureaucrats

Blue/yellow and a black wire go to the sidestand switch. The switch went bad and the po just cut and twisted the wires together so the bike would start. The switch it self is under the engine just behind the side stand. I'd leave it that way.

Blue/yellow and a black wire go to the sidestand switch. The switch went bad and the po just cut and twisted the wires together so the bike would start. The switch it self is under the engine just behind the side stand. I'd leave it that way.

So the bike won't start without the wires being twisted together? Wow. What the heck is the sidestand switch supposed to do?

Thanks.

On bikes I have had with a sidestand switch if you leave it, the side stand , down, when you put it in gear and let out the clutch the engine dies.
Do you have a wiring diagram for your 83? I haven't trolled though here to see if your is in here but it should be. If it isn't please let us know and we will find a copy for you. :thumbsup: Hope this helps.
http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61

Thanks Pumps. I've looked through a few wiring diagrams from various places. Just didn't realize there was a switch for the sidestand.

Back