Help please

I just didn't drill deep enough and since the insert tool went past the tang I didn't compensate for that either
And i now need to repair the insert tool by cutting the slot deeper than it is now

If you cut the end off of the tap to make a bottoming tap, it will become rather difficult or useless to use it again when you try to start tapping a new hole. Ideally, you’d have the tap you have and a separate bottoming tap to finish it off.

Agreed. A bottoming tap is required. When I couldn't get one, I cut the end off of a standard tap.

For the record, one of my intake bolts is 1/4 20.
I was hoping not to go there but that might have been my next step

If you cut the end off of the tap to make a bottoming tap, it will become rather difficult or useless to use it again when you try to start tapping a new hole. Ideally, you’d have the tap you have and a separate bottoming tap to finish it off.
But what secret size bottoming tap the kit doesn't say what it is
I'll have to look at the tap and maybe it's marked
It can't be a 6mm or the helicoil wouldn't work out

I don't mean to get too many cooks going....it may be useful to know the length of the coil, the distance between lines on tap pic'd below
heli tap (2).jpg

Hey buddy don't follow me to close
I'm a accident waiting to happen
edit: I'm an accident that's going to happen :doh::doh:

I don't mean to get too many cooks going....it may be useful to know the length of the coil, the distance between lines on tap pic'd below
View attachment 231682
I would think if the hole was a little deeper I could? get by with the tap that came with the kit

Attachments

• 1670626742410.gif
    1670626742410.gif
    42 bytes · Views: 31
Hard to tell from your blurry pics Mikey, but it looks to me like you cross threaded the insert (helicoil). That's why it wouldn't thread any further.
If that's the same kit I put up here, that tap's plenty deep enough for what you're doing. I've done several now and it threads plenty deep enough.

I would think if the hole was a little deeper I could? get by with the tap that came with the kit
Time to walk away till tomorrow
Clear the head and plan to get it right tomorrow
It's a new learned task for me simple as it may be but once I get it done right, I doubt I'll forget how to do it correctly
Such simple tasks and I didn't hardly raise my voice and no tools were launched either
Hell I might go back and try to set the timing on the 73 again :yikes:
AS always thanks guys !!!!!!!!

Hard to tell from your blurry pics Mikey, but it looks to me like you cross threaded the insert (helicoil). That's why it wouldn't thread any further.
If that's the same kit I put up here, that tap's plenty deep enough for what you're doing. I've done several now and it threads plenty deep enough.
I didn't drill the hole deep enough and I might have wobbled trying to tap it
It's a bugger pushing the tap handle side to side to get clearance past the carb

I didn't drill the hole deep enough and I might have wobbled trying to tap it
It's a bugger pushing the tap handle side to side to get clearance past the carb
I think your right on cross threading the helicoil as I had enough threads
That helicoil is 4-5 maybe 6mm (I don't have the micrometer in the house and I have to have been 8-9mm tapped
I'll fix the insert tool and gently go at it again tomorrow

If you were wobbling side to side, yeah, you likely cross threaded it. That carb's gonna have to come out so you have room to thread straight. No wobbles allowed.

Well I don't think anyone makes a "bottoming tap" for a helicoil but like jetmechmarty says a cut off wheel in a grinder will work to remove most but not all the tapered cutters on your tap, leave one or two that are still tapered. I would count the number of full depth threads you have in the hole after using the tap, count down from the last one that fully enters the casting and stop counting at the first tapered thread.

Then make sure the thread insert has fewer threads, about one full one, than the hole you taped out. If insert is too long a cut-off wheel in a small grinder can be used to cut one off at a time till you have the right number left.

Could you post a good picture of that inserting tool with a coil on it? End of inserting tool should not extend past the tab by more than a few thousands of a inch. Does that collar on the inserting tool have a set screw in it so you can move it down to only let the coil go on just far enough to engage the tab on the insert. I could go look at one of my tools but it's nice and warm here in the house with woodstove working!

PS I have probably used hundreds of these helicoils in all kinds of different things from little screw holes (8-32) in a chain saw crankcase to much larger ones holding a hydraulic pump(16 mm or bigger) together. Only had a few times where I had a real problem, most because of being in a bad location to do a good job drilling the old threads out.

It just seemed the
helicoil insert tool.png
the insert tool went way past where it was needed, mine had the slot from what I thought way further than needed
In the picture here it doesn't look as long as what I had and I'm pretty sure I ordered the same one
I'd have to check my Amazon shopping list to see for sure

If you were wobbling side to side, yeah, you likely cross threaded it. That carb's gonna have to come out so you have room to thread straight. No wobbles allowed.
I agree it's not that tough of a task
Do it once and do it right

Does that collar on the inserting tool have a set screw in it so you can move it down to only let the coil go on just far enough to engage the tab on the insert.
If it's the one I suggested he get, yes it does. Even has the allen for it.

1670628529654.png

I might have wobbled trying to tap it
In tight locations sometimes it helps to find a nut that is just a little too small to slip over the square of the tap. Carefully hammer it on then you can use an open end wrench or even a socket and ratchet to turn the tap. also see if you have something with nice square sides on it, heck even a good block of wood. Use this to help align the tap while threading it in to the casting.

If I was doing something like this where I was working in a tight spot with bad access I might make a little tool to guide the tap. Think of something like a piece of 1 1/4 bar stock faced off in a lathe and a hole drilled down the center just big enough to slip the tap through. Hold it tight to the casting and you know the tap will go straight in! I know you probably don't have the lathe and bar stock but it might give you some ideas.

Know someone who is a wood worker? A small block of hardwood and a drill press would work!

If it's the one I suggested he get, yes it does. Even has the allen for it.

View attachment 231685
That's what I was thinking it would have.

In a tight spot I have also fabricated an inserting tool from a short bolt with the same threads as the hole I was repairing. In this case a 6mmX1. Just need to grind a step in the tip of the bolt to catch the tag. Help if you have a genuine Helicoil tool to see how they are made. They are threaded and not straight like this tool. Nothing against the tool, have at least one of that style and it works just fine.

Last edited:
Yes, Heli-Coil taps are special sizes. They are called "STI" taps (Screw Thread Insert). As mentioned, you may not have tapped deep enough (or drilled deep enough to allow it). I would get a Heli-Coil bottoming tap .....

https://www.progressivepii.com/heli...-bright-finish-high-speed-steel-hand-sti-tap/

According to the charts here .....

https://www.helicoil.in/pdf/HeliCoil Catalogue.pdf

..... the hole depth for an M6 1 dia. insert (length same as diameter, or 6mm) using the regular Heli-Coil tap needs to be 15mm. With the bottoming tap, it only needs to be 10mm deep.

Back