Help with XS650 motor

Peakler

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I have recently found a 79 XS650 for sale. Want to make sure that it isn't stole or anything. (bike doesn't have a title) I got the serial number off the motor and was looking it up and can't find it on any of the serial decoders. It is 2F0 102250. Always had sportster's so new to the XS. All I really need is the motor. Is it hard to title a bike when you put a motor in a custom frame? I live in Alabama if that helps.

So basically I got nothing to worry about. Take the motor and stick it in a new frame and IM good to go then? Thanks for the help!

Just get a MSO with whatever frame you buy. But in WI anyway it's bigger deal to register a new MSO than transfer a title. I believe you have to have an inspection done for an MSO to get title. They are going to want you to meet DMV MC rules, not impossible in WI, but mirrors, turn signals, two brakes, lighting, fenders, perhaps a DB (loudness) test etc.

x2 on what gary said. Get an MSO when ya buy the frame and keep a receipt for EVERYTHING even a bill of sale for the motor. Have receipts for everything proving you paid for it. The more the better IMO

The 2FO-102250 is a 78-79 engine.
If you want to know if it's stolen take the frame number to the police and they can run the number. If the frame has the white sticker on it use the number on there. It should be the same, if different take both. The sticker number is sometimes longer the the frame number. If it's longer the frame number is parts of it.
The easy way to get a title is get a titled bike. Send the titled frame to the custom builder and they can use the steering head and part of the stock frame to build your frame. When it comes back, build the bike. With a good title the DMV won't care much what it looks like. Here in NY if you have a title they just do the paperwork, give you the plates and registration, the title comes in the mail in a few weeks.

The frame on the bike is not factory. I have ran it through my dept. and it isn't stolen. Pick it up tomorrow for $750. I will take some pics and start a thread

Back