XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I'm new to the forum and xs650
Finally after years of bad luck I hit the lottery
An acquaintance sold me his 79 xs650F with title for 150$
He said it needed the head gasket replaced and he lacked the skill
It has no battery and the wiring is junk after sitting for four years
He said before the head gasket went it ran great
I'm down to rolling frame and motor is getting pulled next week when I have another set of hands to help
Having never heard it run yet what's my best plan of attack to check the if it needs a top end rebuild
Was thinking it would be great to add new washers to the studs and retorque it and ride into the sunset
But I don't think I'm quite that lucky

much smarter and more edumakated members will chime in but if you dont already have one get yourself a manual. I would also recommend checking out the tech section here on the forum, lots of helpful articles there.

Congrats on the 650 and winning the lottery. Pictures would be nice ya know haha :thumbsup::laugh:

They sure would be. Haha
Ill see if I can upload them from my laptop a.k.a. Cell phone
Got the motor out today, heavy bugger isn't it?
Was planning on bobbing it. Nothing crazy just low and simple
Ill check out the tech section while I wait for the kickstarter and the manual from the previous owner
Where in michigan are you from by the way? I was born a yooper and my brother is a preacher near Detroit rock city

Check the tank for obvious issues... rust, varnish, clumps of goo... clean and refresh.
Check petcocks for same as above.
pull carbs and examin for above issues, clean, check floats and replace if needed.
pull head and examine piston tops, rings, and valves for obvious issues, none being found, replace gasket and reinstall engine, carbs and tank. Add fuel filter, Add fuel, new battery, clean or replace plugs and try to fire.
Others may have issues with this but:
a shot of ether (starting fluid) in each carb and try to fire.

How does wiring become junk just sitting for years?? If it was ok then, it is good enough now... unless PO hacked it before storing.

I've done the above routine (less head gasket replacement) with a number of xs650s that had been "sitting for years" and 80% fire right up.

Now before you go riding off on the new toy, check the brakes, and make sure they work before test run.

Better to ride the crap out of it while you plan your "Bob" than start hacking like a buch of would be builders who lose interest after a few months of looking at the heap they created taking up space in the garage.

Get it running, get intimate with her and you'll have more incentive to create the next great build, whatever style that is... IMO.

-=PO

So i take it "hit the lottery" was just a metaphor? If you did i dont think a XS would be on your mind hahha

So i take it "hit the lottery" was just a metaphor? If you did i dont think a XS would be on your mind hahha

Heck, If I actually did win the lottery I would be hording xs650's like mad. (of course I would also have a new Victory sitting right beside them) :laugh:

Yeah I would clean tank carbs petcocks and get it running. I have mine all apart right now waiting for parts (mine is just a quick restomod/paint) I am going to start acquiring parts for a full chopper build sometime in the future

If I ever hit it big on the lottery I'd buy more XS 650's and a Ural Gear-up. among other things....Like a bigger garage.

hit the lottery was indeed an analogy
haha
so the PO called me today to say he found the title and has the manual "somewhere" which is a start
how do i remove the oil delivery line. not sure if it pulls right out or unthreads?
cant seem to find this info anywhere and dont want to damage it
thanks fellas and ladies
keith

p.s. still workin on the photos
have em on my phone but cant get em on to the post

we should possibly start a "what if i won the lottery thread"?
id start by buying a running xs and a don mega garage.
maybe ill start buying tickets after all this talk of hitting it big

Use 2 wrenches on the oil tube, break it apart like a gas fitting. Hold the lower nut secure and turn off the upper nut. Once that's loosened, undo the banjo bolts at the top of the engine.
Be especially carefull on that lower end, many have twisted the crap out of the tube.

Cool
Got the oil line off and the head waiting for the manual still before I take off the cam. Would rather have the manual and do it right than blindly tear it up. Hopefully Ill get it soon cuz we got a ton of snow coming and I have nothing better to do than begin this project
Can't wait for springi ve got the itch to ride bad and get this one roadworthy too. darn wisconsin winters

Back