How do you bypas an ignition switch to start '77 xs650

lateral4

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how I can bypass my ignition switch? I have a stock '77 xs and I want to bypass the switch so that I can just get 12 volts straight to the starter.

Wire from positive to starter would do it but a toggle switch in line with a fuse would be better I would think

Under the right side cover you will find the starter relay. There will be a red/white wire and a blue/white wire along with the positive battery cable and the cable going to your starter on this relay. You need to get 12v to the red/white wire and hit your starter button to engage the starter.

i have taken the starter button off the bike, I'm running bare bones electrics. I just tried it running the 12v to the red'wht and tried to kick start it, it just kind of rolled over once, but didn't start, how can I activate the starter with a 12v wire?

Are you trying to use the kick start or the electric starter? If kickstart than 12 volts just needs to get to the coils if electric start than you need to get 12 volts to the electric starter and if you have some kind of kill switch it needs to be off

Well if your running bare bones you should have a wire from positive to relay that wire needs to power the coils but it does need a fuse in line so basically one wire from positive to the coil connections under gas tank

On a 77 that would be a red/white wire that feeds the coils. Sorry for the confusion but what you wanted and what you asked where two different things.

Back