How have you mounted your custom seat (standard or brat style)?

strang

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
In the process of making myself a brat seat out of some 2.5mm thick metal (old sign).
Spent some time today trying to work out the best way to attach the seat to the frame. I would like to be able to take it off easily ie. without too many tools and yet it be stable. Wondering what setup people have come up with? Pics?

I have something similar to this, and when I made my seat pan I molded two bolts in the fiberglass so it could be mounted.

Mine is not weld on though. I have another bracket that the 'tongue' piece attaches to and all of it mounts just over the rear tab of the gas tank.

I've been wondering this too. I made a metal seat pan, and just ran a bolt through the pan and through a pre-existing hole on the top of the frame. Does the trick fine temporarily.

Both my bikes rock flat seats, and I have them mounted both the same..

Cut a small channel in the front of the pan that slides under the tank, and when I upholstered, I stitched in a re-enforced area that the tank slides into, under the foam, but above the pan, and the tank bolt holds it all down, and the seat covers it all up..

In the rear, just anchored a couple bolts in, that fit into some pre-drilled holes, and tighten down from the bottom.

Hard to explain...

Attachments

• IMG_7052.jpg
    IMG_7052.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 473
I made my seat out of fiberglass and plywood, where the ply sits down between the frame tubes to minimise sideways movement.

P1020982 Resized.jpg

I moulded a bracket into the front

P1020983 Resized.jpg

which locates between the modified 'engine plates' I am using to hold my fake oil tank (small battery, reg/rec, fusebox).

P1020996 Resized.jpg
P1020990 Resized.jpg

The rear plywood section now also sports a rubber bonnet catch and the clamp from the catch locates on my modded battery box that I am using for a rear light/numberplate bracket. (there are more pics in my build album). Sorry I can't show the catch mounted on the seat but I took the base to an upholsterer buddy last week to be covered. I'll be posting pics when I get it back.

Back