How to: Cross Drill Rotor w/ Patterns

The holes are best left sharp edged, they clean the pads better that way, so don't countersink them much, if any. I use a little deburring tool on any that need some attention. One more thing - hole size matters. One of the benefits of drilling your disc is the ability to create more surface area (sides of the holes) and achieve better cooling. This only happens if you use holes the same size or smaller than the thickness of the disc. Go larger than the disc is thick and you actually lose surface area which means less cooling.

The stock 650 discs are 7mm thick so 1/4" would be better. I run a 5mm thick SR500 disc on mine and drilled the holes 3/16".

SRDisc.jpg

I did an aggressive hole pattern. Started with an 1/8in then went up from there. Took a little longer but, I think it turned out great

Attachments

• 2013-01-22_08-58-03_378.jpg
    2013-01-22_08-58-03_378.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 817
h3llb3nt1 ,Thats cool a hell! I didn't understand what You ment untill now That I see Your rotor!
I would have liked to have one like it.The next one I'll do that
Have You bent those locking tabs over yet?

Carbon, on your next rotor, I would add one more hole on the outer edge and delete the innermost one.

h3llb3nt1 ,Thats cool a hell! I didn't understand what You ment untill now That I see Your rotor!
I would have liked to have one like it.The next one I'll do that
Have You bent those locking tabs over yet?

No not yet. I'm gettin there. :) when i get all the fab work and final cleaning done ill bend em over as i reassemble. Got the case split and degreased this weekend. Will get crank and cam off to hugh this week

Roy that looks really good. By having just the dimples drilled, will those fill up with brake pad residue or any road sediment?

Back