How to lower the rear shocks

gcmoto

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Everyone.
I am new to this forum and ive tried to find this answer all over the internet. Can someone please explain to me how to set the rear shocks to "softer' on my xs2? i would like to reach the ground a little bit better without spending the cash...

Last edited:
That's helpful :rolleyes:

Which shocks do you have? There should be a twist adjuster for spring preload, you can lighten it a notch or two to increase the amount of sag. You'll need a shock wrench to turn it, and its much easier if you have a center stand to take the weight off.

It's not really the best solution as the ride will likely be worse. The better option would be to buy shorter shocks, MikesXS has some cheap sets to choose from.

Im trying to avoid spending anymore cash on this bike. It is a one owner pristine bike from 1972 and i just picked it up to sell it. I was hoping to ride it a bit before i sold it and that why i wanted to lower the seat a bit..

PS: its going to be very hard to part with this amazing machine...

If it is truly pristine, and you want to flip it, don't ride it, don't spend a penny on it, just flip it. You cannot be emotionally invested in something you are trying to make a profit on. Ride it, and you will be.
And, it's a 2-owner now.

I am totally aware of this. I have been polishing and buffing every inch of this machine for a week now and i think im beginning to fall in love with it... its going to be hard to sell this one. I haven't registered it so its still a one owner bike with the title still in the original owners name. Plus all the books and tools from 1972 it should be an easy sell and a great original bike for someone looking for a great classic unmolested ride!! ill post pics when its all polished up.

I wouldn't change a thing on this bike. The only item im changing are a repro tach and speedo faces for the clusters that are a bit weathered.

Back