Hughes hand built Cdi system or Morris Magneto ?

freakchopper

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 76 xs650 with a Hughes hand built Cdi system. I am not getting a spark and frankly don't really care for the appearance of this system (too many parts for my old school taste) instead of wasting time in trying to solve the no spark issue with this system, I was thinking about eliminating the Hughes CDI system from my bike and going with a Morris Magneto ( I like the old school clean look )...with the Morris Magneto my understanding is you simply attach it to the bike connect the spark plugs and then simply kick start the bike...no ignition key or battery is needed ...is this true ?

A Mag will ONLY power the ignition it self, It will not run any lights or other accessories. So with a mag you still have to have a charging system. Why not just run points off of a PMA? You already have the PMA and point are about $35 and require no CDI/TCI box, only a small capacitor. The mounting location for a mag on an XS is problematic as its right in the way of your knee unless you have rearsets.

You guys have me re-thinking things.....is there any engine timing involved with a magneto? ...meaning ..do I have to re-time the engine for the magneto to work properly?

You guys have me re-thinking things.....is there any engine timing involved with a magneto? ...meaning ..do I have to re-time the engine for the magneto to work properly?
Yes, you have to time the magneto.
upload_2021-6-4_7-6-33.png

Well the mag has to be timed just like any other ignition. A magneto is just points with it’s own ac rotor/coil to produce it own current. You still have points to gap, maintain, and time.

Last edited:
Also worth noting that to “properly” time a mag you need a buzz box, these are not cheap unless you build your own like I did. @Jim has most likely forgot more than I’ll ever know about magneto timing so he could probably speak more to that.

here is the link to my buzz box
http://www.xs650.com/threads/der-buzzmacher-or-diy-magneto-buzz-box.58493/
That is super cool !! ...I almost want to go with the magneto just so I could make one of those..: ) ...I am all for going the cost cutting Mcguyver route ..lol

...you all gave me some things to consider. All I truly want and need in the end is a reliable ignition that is an easy fix.

I have the Hugh`s CDI, the Morris Magneto, and Boyer. Do yourself a favor and just buy the VAPE and enjoy your motorcycle.:thumbsup: The Morris Mag is a PITA to time and provides only spark to the plugs. You still need a charging system. VAPE is foolproof.:bike:

A mag (magneto) has exactly one advantage to other iggys.... it's self contained. Generates it's own 'lectricity and makes the sparks. No capacitor or battery required. They can be finicky to set up, but reliable once done. Of course, there's points inside, so it needs attention periodically. They're a thing of beauty on an aircraft engine where failure is not an option, but on a bike..... nice wow factor is about all it gives.

I believe that another advantage to a magneto is that the faster it spins, the more current it generates. Early XLCH Sportsters came from the factory with a magneto - I don't remember the brand. Mr. Smartass says that technically there is a capacitor, aka the condenser. Sorry.

Mr. Smartass says that technically there is a capacitor, aka the condenser. Sorry.
Correct... also a built in alternator. My reference to no capacitor required was speaking to equipment required external of or separate from the mag.

I believe that another advantage to a magneto is that the faster it spins, the more current it generates. Early XLCH Sportsters came from the factory with a magneto - I don't remember the brand. Mr. Smartass says that technically there is a capacitor, aka the condenser. Sorry.
They were made by Fairbanks.

Back