Hugh's HandBuilt Fork Braces

Punkskalar

Hugh's HandBuilt
Reaction score
The real deal, made in steel (Couldn't help myself - haha)

Fork Yeah! (see, I did it again...) These things have been long in the making. As you have probably already seen from Hugh's HandBuilt, we only bring the best to the table - and this fork brace is right on par with what I want to see our customers have.

Made from 100% US Made Steel, and Fabricated completely in-house at HHB.

01222015_Landino_DSC1374.jpg

So lets get to the meat and potatoes here… We love XS’s, we love em all… Bobbers, Choppers, Cafe’s, Brats, Resto-Mods, you name it… We do our best to find the weak points in these old bikes, and make them better. When we built Tevan’s Resto-Mod XS2 – we found out the hard way that the front forks needed some beefing up… It was just a bit squirelly in the corners are speed, and that to us is unacceptable. I had noticed it on other XS's as well, but this particular bike was build for the twisties and had to perform... I knew we could make it happen :bike:

DSC_0353_0745.jpg

The OEM fender acts as a “brace” of sorts, but it’s flimsy and you can flex it with your hands – so that wasn’t the answer either. We looked around the forums, talked to some of our racing customers, and found a serious lack for a proper fork brace. So off to the shop we went, after about 7 different designs and tests , the final HHB Fork Brace was born out of steel, sweat and even a little blood (careful folks, those metal ‘burrs’ are sharper than you think! haha) Behold, the HHB Fork Brace! Made from 100% USA Made Steel, fabricated entirely in house and fully TIG welded – it doesn’t get much better than this![/IMG]

01222015_Landino_DSC1346.jpg

Head over to the blog or website for more information on availability and pricing. Thanks so much for your support folks, you make my job awesome! :thumbsup:

forkbrace_black-watermark.jpg

And Just for fun, From the 1981 Publishing of the "Minton Mods" - Considering Inflation, I think our pricing is just as good - haha

Okay, so your bike’s fork flexes. What can you do about it? The answer is as simple as bolting on a fork brace. We used one of the braces sold by Racer’s Supply. These braces are made by Racer’s World, cost $59.95, and work. The brace is made of two pieces of steel tubing bent to fit over and around the bike’s fender and welded to steel bars drilled to fit the fender-mount lugs on each fork. Some care should be exercised in fitting this brace to your bike’s fork. Individual motorcycle tolerances make it almost impossible for Racer’s World to make every fork brace fit every bike. It is very important that the fork brace be a slip-fit between the fork legs. If there is any stress between the brace and the legs, there will be an undesirable increase in fork stiction. Usually only a bit of filing is needed to fit one of these braces. Just be sure that the fit between the legs and the brace is snug and does not result in any side pressure on the fork legs.

AND as Always, these are available in our store - right here: http://www.hughshandbuilt.com/product/hhb-xs650-sr500-fork-brace/

Last edited:
Oh great builder of XS parts would this fork brace work with a fender? And why are you always building things that make me want to give you my hard earned $$?:D

Oh great builder of XS parts would this fork brace work with a fender? And why are you always building things that make me want to give you my hard earned $$?:D

I am always blessed to get this kind of feedback - thanks man! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

We found a few Alloy fenders that fit nicely under this design, but we couldn't get enough of them to keep inventory. The OEM fender will not work without modification, but there are some sweet aftermarket fenders that could be fastened with some light work. If I find a good source for a fender, it'll be on the market ASAP :thumbsup:

Think I could stuff thing in a 34mm fork? That brace would look sick on the White Trash Bobber.

I'm not 100% sure, we don't have a bike with 34's here to test it on. If anyone is semi-local and wants to bring a bike by, we'll give em one for free if it fits :thumbsup:

I'm not 100% sure, we don't have a bike with 34's here to test it on. If anyone is semi-local and wants to bring a bike by, we'll give em one for free if it fits :thumbsup:

It will not fit, I should know, I've been building them for over 5yrs :doh: Hugh, you could have saved yourself all that "research and devolopment" and just bought one of mine, I knew about the ill handling of the XS years ago :D Even so I could not come up with anything original either, it's all been done :shrug:

It will not fit, I should know, I've been building them for over 5yrs :doh: Hugh, you could have saved yourself all that "research and devolopment" and just bought one of mine, I knew about the ill handling of the XS years ago :D Even so I could not come up with anything original either, it's all been done :shrug:

I hear ya - I managed to score one of the original Racer's World fork braces mentioned in the Minton Mods to compare with. The top brace we added really stiffens up the brace design for sure.

Plus, I enjoy R&D

One the good note, We sent one out to a feller with a set of 34's and he said he got one to fit with minimal mods to the forks :thumbsup:

I hear ya - I managed to score one of the original Racer's World fork braces mentioned in the Minton Mods to compare with. The top brace we added really stiffens up the brace design for sure.

Plus, I enjoy R&D

One the good note, We sent one out to a feller with a set of 34's and he said he got one to fit with minimal mods to the forks :thumbsup:

Did he say what he had to do to the forks?

I am always blessed to get this kind of feedback - thanks man! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

We found a few Alloy fenders that fit nicely under this design, but we couldn't get enough of them to keep inventory. The OEM fender will not work without modification, but there are some sweet aftermarket fenders that could be fastened with some light work. If I find a good source for a fender, it'll be on the market ASAP :thumbsup:

What does the OEM fender need for it to work?

hi would the fork brace fit a 1976 xs650 with 34mm forks and a chrome mud guard ration ??/,,,,or would i have too strip it to get the brace on regards oldbiker

What does the OEM fender need for it to work?

I redesigned fork brace with a higher arch.

hi would the fork brace fit a 1976 xs650 with 34mm forks and a chrome mud guard ration ??/,,,,or would i have too strip it to get the brace on regards oldbiker

Here is a great-way of utilizing the original parts from the 34mm fork guard and turning it into a fork brace. A pic from one of the guys on this site.

Attachments

• user933_pic2831_1302549863.jpg
    user933_pic2831_1302549863.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 909
In stock, and ready to go.... AND, you can now purchase these at Lowbrow Customs... :thumbsup:

Thanks for all your support folks!

Hugh

Stocked up, and if you haven't noticed, you can get lots of our parts at Lowbrow Customs, TC Bros, and Pandemonium Customs as well :thumbsup:

10420216_773257639390343_1998750383872014595_n.jpg

My shop helper likes to take artsy photos during production....

10463906_674740689242039_5797902879063486799_n.jpg

But thats a good thing, because we bend, cut, machine and weld these in house 100%! :thumbsup:

Hugh,

any update on an aftermarket fender that will fit with this?

I haven't found a steady supplier of aftermarket fenders honestly, we have found that if we build an "XT" version, about 1" taller than our other versions, that you can clear the OEM Fender on a 34mm Front end.

I know, it's not a great pic (we were doing a writeup on another item at the time) but you can see the OEM Fender sitting under our HHB Fork Brace. So if you want an "XT" version, email me and we'll see if we can make that happen :thumbsup:

IMG_44982.jpg

Back