I found my XS!

QTreiber

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have tried for many weeks to find one locally. Ended up finding a 1979 Standard on eBay in Iowa and I am excited!!!

Here she is...:

My1979XS650.jpg

In pretty good shape, but I have to address a few things:

- The mufflers are extremely loud --> I am trying to find OEM or OEM-style mufflers with an OEM or similar sound. What is the best source?

- I am looking for an OEM Standard handlebar. I don't know exactly how different the OEM bar is compared to the one you can see in the picture, but the one on the bike looks a little straighter than the OEM bar. What is the best source?

- It starts easily with the kick starter, but not with the electric starter. I knew this when I bought it. According to the seller it can be started by using a jumper on the solenoid.
I will try to find information on how to pinpoint the cause. Defective starter button?

I am sure I will have more questions, looking forward to your feedback!

Greetings from Colorado,
Armin

hey Armin, just pulled the bars off my 81 (below). if you want em they're yours for $10. just message me. Do a search on here for Pamco and you'll get all the info you need regarding your ignition problems.

full

with those black bars (painted?) it may not have a ground for the starter switch, looks like it has the smaller Special tank and vacuum petcock, check mikeXS for different handlebar styles and he has a section on how to measure handlebars you'll be able to figure out what you have and what you want to go to as far as reach and pull back. I have the CB750 bars on mine good riding posistion with the controls in a natural posistion for my height (5'10") and reach

Nice, and to have to travel to Iowa to get it shows determination in my book. To my eye, and I may be mistaken, the bike appears to be a Special. The shock angle and the 16 inch rear wheel are clues, though the wheel could have been changed.
No worries as you can standardize a Special to a degree.
Carbs appear to be tin tops, 34's.
For exhaust, I'd look into the 27 +/- inch ones at Mikesxs or 650 Central. Same with the bars.....or eBay.
When I first got mine the electric leg didn't work. Turned out to be a relay. Found it by using a light probe and fixed it with a spare I had from a parts bike. '82 and '83 Heritage Specials.

Didn't notice the painted bars. Good eye Jayel.

don't think they made a 16" spoked rear wheel nj might have been changed but? kind of hard to see from the pic but does look like looped tube passenger mount instead of pressed mount, (difference between standard and special frame) besides shock angle pic angles can fool you, serial # will tell the story 2FO-150*** = XS650F, 2FO-250*** = XS650SF, 4FO-250*** = XS650 2F, ... 3 model codes for that year 2FO, 2MO, 3NO

don't think they made a 16" spoked rear wheel nj might have been changed but? kind of hard to see from the pic but does look like looped tube passenger mount instead of pressed mount, (difference between standard and special frame) besides shock angle pic angles can fool you, serial # will tell the story 2FO-150*** = XS650F, 2FO-250*** = XS650SF, 4FO-250*** = XS650 2F, ... 3 model codes for that year 2FO, 2MO, 3NO
Thanks for all the feedback, the VIN starts with 2F0253, so is it a Special...?

Well, I would like to "Standardize" it as much as possible.

Will a Standard tank and seat fit?

Is the frame of a Special very different compared to a Standard? When I buy the Standard mufflers, would they fit on a Special frame...?

Armin

It's a Special II.

The frame isn't much different, the rear peg brackets are different and the angle of the rear shocks.

A standard tank will fit, and a standard seat will fit if you buy one with the brackets and hook on it. The side covers are also different.

Is the frame of a Special very different compared to a Standard? When I buy the Standard mufflers, would they fit on a Special frame...?

Armin

I've got a standard tank and what I believe are standard headers and exhaust on my '83. Seat? I've trimmed mine down and built a glass pan.
Found some early standard weighted bars on eBay.

Where in Iowa you going to get it? I have a motor and some other parts you might be inetersted in if you are coming my way (Des Moines)

Armin

Yes it looks to be the "Special II" XS 650 F or 2F per my model code info.

Possibilities for "Standard" ization....

18' rear "piss catcher" aluminum rim, 19" aluminum also (swap disc rotors) swapped in for your 16'' steel rear and 19" steel front

Standard tank 75,76,77 should fit easily and you gain about 1 gal. capacity. Can't say for sure re mufflers. OEM would probably be best to use stock OEM from 78,79 E, SE, F,2F, SF as they were 1 piece left and rights OEM. to fit frame mounts

Alteration required re seats either way....Standard on a Special or Special to look like Std. (no hump) & recover. Some details could be discussed on separate post

Some slightly different frame geometry and muffler configuration and attachment.
Specials were one piece each side (headpipes & mufflers welded + crossover)

Swaps could be arranged if....that's what you really want to do, re the wheels and headpipes, mufflers

I'd do the Standard bars with weights for sure. OEM was the roto-tillers of the Specials
and many consider them uncomfortable.

As to your last question re frame dimensions & drawing I refer you to the fearless leader Travis'
post on the subject.... http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64

Congrats & BOL, Blue

Blue

Last edited:
Have tried for many weeks to find one locally. Ended up finding a 1979 Standard on eBay in Iowa and I am excited!!!

Here she is...:

My1979XS650.jpg

- The mufflers are extremely loud --> I am trying to find OEM or OEM-style mufflers with an OEM or similar sound. What is the best source?

- I am looking for an OEM Standard handlebar. I don't know exactly how different the OEM bar is compared to the one you can see in the picture, but the one on the bike looks a little straighter than the OEM bar. What is the best source?

- It starts easily with the kick starter, but not with the electric starter. I knew this when I bought it. According to the seller it can be started by using a jumper on the solenoid.
I will try to find information on how to pinpoint the cause. Defective starter button?

I am sure I will have more questions, looking forward to your feedback!

Greetings from Colorado,
Armin

good looking bike, how much you have to give for it? trust me you dont want stock bars. ther is a saftey relay under the right side cover for headlight and starter/kill switch. i have bypassed on my bikes the starter still works but have to turn key of to kill and the headlight is on when ever key is on.

good looking bike, how much you have to give for it? trust me you dont want stock bars. ther is a saftey relay under the right side cover for headlight and starter/kill switch. i have bypassed on my bikes the starter still works but have to turn key of to kill and the headlight is on when ever key is on.

What is wrong with the Standard stock bars...?

I paid ~$1,400 for the bike, it has about 18,000 mls on the odometer.

Thanks again for the welcome and all the input! The seller actually shipped the bike to me. It arrived last week. The roads were snow covered and the round trip to Iowa would have been too long for me.

In the coming weeks I plan to address at least the starter, the mufflers and probably the handle bar.

I will have lots of questions!

Greetings from the Front Range,
Armin

I will try to find information on how to pinpoint the cause. Defective starter button

Greetings from Colorado,
Armin

Mikes XS is a good source for replica replacement of both OEM type mufflers and the Standard style handlebars and much more of course. As is 650 Central.

Here's some pics re the handlebars both "Specials" and "Standards". Specials have greater rise and much more pull back. As a result, longer control cables were needed, you sit a little straighter up (old Harley cruiser position) with pronated wrists and loss of leverage. Felt like using the "roto tiller" to me.

Your bike would have had a "grab bar" stock as pictured btw. OEM

Check out Jayels thought and wiring contuity through the starter switch & safety relay btw re your electric start ....could be just a poor connection or ground through the bars. Blue

Best wishes from the "western front", Brigham City is situated much like Boulder btw
just on the other side of the hump. Nice bike-good deal! Blue

Attachments

• 78_650-special_600.jpg
    78_650-special_600.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 163
  • 78_650special_3_600.jpg
    78_650special_3_600.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 165
  • Midway 77 D right.jpg
    Midway 77 D right.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 172
  • Midway 77.jpg
    Midway 77.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:
Here's some pics re the handlebars both "Specials" and "Standards". I've got both off the bike and could take comparative pics if needed. Specials have greater rise and much more pull back. As a result longer control cables were needed, you sit a little straighter up (old Harley cruiser position) with pronated wrists and loss of leverage.
Felt like using the "roto tiller" to me. I've got a pair you can have if that's the way you want to go?

Best, Blue

Hello Blue,

Thank you very much for the pictures, very helpful!

I definitively want the Standard style or something similar. I will take some measurements of the bars that are on my bike now and then see what Mike's XS and others offer.

Armin

Does your seat open by tipping up sideways or lifting off? The standard and Special II I think flipped up in 79, the Special lifted off. If yours flips up I think any of the flip up seats will fit.
On the wheels, they used an aluminum rim but with out the piss catchers. They were not steel. The rear wheel should be 16 inch.
On your starter as others mentioned if the handle bars are painted them there is a good chance the ground on the handle bars is blocked from completing the circuit. One easy to do check is at the starter relay unplug the blue/white wire, hook a jumper wire to the relay b/w wire. now with the bike in neutral, key on, kill switch on, ground the jumper wire. this should crank the engine.
If it does then the handle bar ground needs attention. If not then something else is the problem.
How old is the battery? An old battery is often a weak battery. Taking it to a parts store or most places that sell batteries and getting it load tested will tell you alot.

Pretty sure Leo that all the 78's and 79's E,SE,F,2F,SF still had hinged seats.
The lift off type seat started in 1980 with the SG.... BS 34 carbs, TCI ignition, cast aluminum grab rail.....Blue

Last edited:
Back