i have NO front brake!

robert21157

XS650 Member
Reaction score
i just bought an 81 xs650 bobber it is my 1st project bike and it has no front brake installed. i would like to get one but have no idea what i would need. any help would be great

Buy it all, I have working set I'd sell you, or post a wanted ad in the classifieds. Get us a picture of the wheel and RH fork so we know for sure what you have.

Smart man wanting a front brake, you will go far in life.

I was going to suggest that there are a few members on here that feel they are optional, so you should not have to hard a time running down parts. Good for you!

I have a complete working set from a 81. Not overhauled, but I rode the bike and the brakes worked fine. New owner swapped front ends didn't need the stock stuff. I will remove and ship you every piece related to the brakes, bolt on and stop. $75 plus actual USPS Priority shipping. Boiler plate; these are used parts and like all 30 year old brake parts they are due for overhaul and that's what you should plan on.

What the new owner changed to.

SteveXS.jpeg

^ There you go mate, you'll struggle to get a better deal than that. And stuff having to find all the little bits, like bolts, clips etc. Onya Gary. I suggest a new hose would also be in order.

Posted via Mobile

Smart man wanting a front brake, you will go far in life
You will stop short in life :)
I just can't figure out people who go without a front brake.
However. the choice is theirs to make.(not trolling...)
I have 4 different bikes with brakes in perfect working order and none of them will stop anywhere near as fast on the rear brake as on the front.

Mine are all pretty wooden on the rear, regardless of pad material or bleeding. That's why I pretty much only use them for trail braking at low speed.

Had a 2001 1200 Bandit, the rear brake was a nice (looking) disk set up and useless as tits on a boar. I could stomp on the pedal and the brakes took that as a suggestion that I was THINKING about slowing down. The owners forum said they were all that way. And that on a high horse power super bike, front brakes were capable of 2 finger stoppies, go figure.

Here's the set I am offering.

front%20brakes%20001.JPG

front%20brakes%20002.JPG

Firm lever, skids the tire no problem damn near put me over the bars LOL. releases completely and easily. Again NOT rebuilt.

My SV 650 has the same P.O.S. rear as the Bandits. When I say wooden, I mean, you could tell something changed, but in the way a wood beam brake slowed down a buckboard wagon. If it don't catch on fire first, you will eventually stop! It's not so much a brake as an anti-rear wheel rotation device.

Had a 2001 1200 Bandit, the rear brake was a nice (looking) disk set up and useless as tits on a boar. I could stomp on the pedal and the brakes took that as a suggestion that I was THINKING about slowing down. The owners forum said they were all that way. And that on a high horse power super bike, front brakes were capable of 2 finger stoppies, go figure.

Here's the set I am offering.

front%20brakes%20001.JPG

front%20brakes%20002.JPG

Firm lever, skids the tire no problem damn near put me over the bars LOL. releases completely and easily. Again NOT rebuilt.

pm me i am interested in everything!

Back