I was framed! Thoughts on how to proceed?

Exploding Coffin Emporium

Day tight compartments
Reaction score
image.jpeg
I can bend pipe and weld, I'm trying to decide the best course of action on this one? I've got it down to bare frame and will take more pics if it's helpful, the rest of the welds/lines seem solid, but I'm the dumbass for not pulling off the seat and noticing it when I picked her up. Thanks for any help guys

Last edited:
:yikes: Wow, was the PO a drunk? Looks like he was on something when he welded that up :laugh2:
Safe to say no form of measuring device was used there.

I would cut it down to where everything measures square again and rebuild from there. Try and use three or more points to square up the new frame section. IE, a point on the axle plates, the swing arm pivot and the front motor mount. The more precise the measurements the better. The most critical part will be getting the shock mounts in the same spot relative to the rest of the frame and keeping them at close to the same angle as stock. Those 2 aren't as critical as keeping other parts of the frame square. I've seen factory frames where the shock mounts were close to 1/8" off one to the other.

Good luck

Thanks buddy, I'm thinking along the same lines, I might go rescue a $300 basketcase this weekend, 78' all torn down, and try to resurrect this frame back to it's beginnings, I can only hope the po was drunk, or else we have a dangerous lunatic with a welder on the loose, I'd have to call in TwoManyXS1Bs with his cape and Vespa to resolve this injustice

image.jpeg

View attachment 88242 I can bend pipe and weld, I'm trying to decide the best course of action on this one? I've got it down to bare frame and will take more pics if it's helpful, the rest of the welds/lines seem solid, but I'm the dumbass for not pulling off the seat and noticing it when I picked her up. Thanks for any help guys

Hi Expo,
OK, it ain't square and that's not we are used to but did you do a road test?
If the poor warped thing handles well, just ride it as is.
Fling a set of soft bags over it to hide the shocks if you are ashamed of how they look.

Hi Expo,
OK, it ain't square and that's not we are used to but did you do a road test?
If the poor warped thing handles well, just ride it as is.
Fling a set of soft bags over it to hide the shocks if you are ashamed of how they look.
I did take it for a quick ride when I first got it, it ran like hell but ran, only took her up to about 60mph and it felt alright, other then running rougher than a trust fund kid in a federal prison it was gravy. The welds seem solid, and I don't think it's a strength issue as much as a potential riding/steering one.

The shaft in a shock is free to rotate all around so I don't think having the eyes not aligned like that will hurt anything. As long as the shocks line up side to side and don't lean in or out too much, I think it will be fine.

That's one of those "Abstract" frames. Measurements can be done to accuracy with a stick and close enough with only a good eye. Yeah, big seat, saddle bags.

Scott

Startled out of a lazy-boy slumber by the Bat Signal (image of a longneck on a nearby cloud of smog). Jumped on the Bat Vespa, and caught the nefarious deed-doer. Apparently he also builds airplanes...

rutanboomerang-jpg.47351

Saw that plane when it was newly built at Oshkosh. Burt Rutan designed it to be controlled by a laptop. It could even fly with either engine out. The Boomerang I think. Ah, those were the days when you really felt special being on the flight line, after that, it just got too big. Last one to leave, turn the lights out. Hell. I just shed a tear.

I remember one downpour of rain, a handful of us took shelter under the Concorde!!!!!!

Scott

Last edited:
I remember one downpour of rain, a handful of us took shelter under the Concorde!!!!!!
Scott

Hi Scott,
and that was a while ago, eh? Hey! I built that bird. Well, me and ten thousand other guys.
When we first drew the Concorde's plans aviation kerosene cost 17cents an Imperial Gallon.
By the time she flew it cost 17cents a spoonful.
She was the last in the line of Bristol's irrelevant post-war design philosophy.
Brabazon; 1930s concept built 20 years too late.
Britannia, a fuel efficient propjet airliner that was 200KPH slower than a 707.
And then the Concorde, faster than anything except the rising cost of fuel.

Back